ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shutter Island Paper Scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph FathereeShutter Island Paper Scene
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 8:10:12 pm

I'm doing a movie that has a girl in a dream-like hallucination. She is seeing inanimate objects in her room moving about. In one scene, paper flies off her desk and floats around the room. How do I get paper to fall down slowly and erraticly similar to the concentration camp scene in Shutter Island? I would like to see the paper falling like snow flakes. What is the simplest and most efficient way to do this?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Shutter Island Paper Scene
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 10:21:08 pm

[Joseph Fatheree]"What is the simplest and most efficient way to do this?"

Grab a bunch of paper and drop it from above.
I would suggest you would probably want to shoot at a somewhat higher frame rate than you plan to deliver it.
You'll have to experiment on weight/thickness of your paper stock.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shutter Island Paper Scene
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 3:46:58 am

Unless you have an unlimited budget to do this properly in 3D, I recommend Michael's advice: do this as a practical effect. You will doubtlessly come out ahead in the long run. Almost always, the best effects are practical effects.

Having said that, it would be a VERY GOOD THING to shoot this on a greenscreen, and key it into the shot with the talent. Watch the lighting, and use the very best camera you can find to do this.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Shutter Island Paper Scene
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 9:12:31 pm

If all of the above does not suit you, you can try Free Form to create the animation in AE. Use a match moving soft to track the camera move and export that to AE ( Boujou, Syntheyes or Vodoo- I think this one is free). Use Free Form to distort layers of newspaper images and animate them falling. Multiple passes needed.
Or shoot some paper falling with a high speed camera....

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved