ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Automated text replacement for localization?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hill
Automated text replacement for localization?
on Dec 3, 2010 at 8:02:55 pm

Is there a good way to automatically search and replace phrases of text in an After Effects file?

This would be used to speed up the creation of both French and English versions of the same video.

I've worked with translation management software for websites, which will do text replacement on html and xml files. They also mention some other file types that I haven't had as much need for, including Word docs, and Powerpoint, but haven't found any that say they'll handle After Effects or Photoshop files.

But if there's a way I can export the text from an AE file to an XML file and then import it again after it's been translated, that would be really helpful.

(Understandably, I'll still need to adjust a lot of the text by hand if it's the wrong size, but it would cut down on my copy-and-pasting time.)

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Automated text replacement for localization?
on Dec 3, 2010 at 8:25:12 pm

there are scripts that will take text from a file and put it into text layers, which may help you....

here's a free one (just scroll down the page to the 'text' category):

http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/

you can probably find others at aescripts.com and/or aenhancers.com.

also, harry frank has a tutorial using expressions to bring in text from external documents:

http://www.graymachine.com/web/portfolio/expressions-and-external-documents...

the idea would be to translate one file to the other language, then use either scripts or expressions to bring select which file to use to put the text in...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
Re: Automated text replacement for localization?
on Dec 3, 2010 at 9:13:42 pm

I think that'll work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]