ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Copy/Paste text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve WaldronCopy/Paste text
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:03:16 pm

Just a quick one here as I cant find any information on this so am just checking it's just me.

I often have to copy and paste text into AE from external sources such as MS Word, E-mails etc, general text content coming from clients - much the same as most of you I guess.

After effects just seems to change mood on this works or not, sometimes it will go in fine, other times I cant. The 'paste' option is greyed out and Ctl+V doesn't do anything. If I try pasting into another program it works...

A tad irksome as it results in me having to type quite a bit of text out, especially in assembly tutorial videos like right now with a ton of technical text.
Anyone else experienced this or is my computer just got an attitude problem?

Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Copy/Paste text
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 3:52:15 pm

Have the same issue since CS4, it's very random. I've tried purging, cleaning up my clipboard, nothing fixes it but a full restart of my computer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Copy/Paste text
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 3:53:20 pm

i can't say i've experienced this problem... have you noticed that it happens with specific programs -- like copying from email is always ok, but word can some times cause problems, or something like that?

also, are you always creating a new text layer to paste text into, or are you pasting text into an existing layer? if it is into existing layers, there is a chance that the existing text is not getting highlighted when you are pasting.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Steve WaldronRe: Copy/Paste text
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 4:11:25 pm

Hi, thanks for both replies, I'm kinda glad it's not just me.
In response to Kevin's questions, it seems to be all programs, for instance it's usually a word document or e-mail but this one right now is powerpoint, I've just tested it further by pasting the text into photoshop - which worked, and then copying it again from there into AE - no luck.

Also, I have tried replacing current text or pasting in new stuff, no change, it's seemingly random as some days it works a charm, very odd.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Copy/Paste text
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 4:32:47 pm

[Steve Waldron] "I've just tested it further by pasting the text into photoshop - which worked"

you answered what my follow up question was going to be, which was 'are other adobe apps affected?'

i guess it looks like there are 2 workarounds, reboot or copy/paste text into photoshop and then import the photoshop file into ae. at that point you could make the photoshop text editable in ae, if needed.

from both your and john's description it sounds like ae is just not recognizing the clipboard, or some non-text data is getting stuck in ae's clipboard and not being overwritten by the copy action in an other app.

just one other thought. when you see this happen, try copying some text data within ae, and see if you can paste that into a text layer. if that works, try copying text from another app into ae... although if this seems to require a full reboot (not just a restart of ae) to fix, i doubt it will work.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Copy/Paste text
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 10:25:26 pm

I seem to recall reading about a month ago someone else who was having a similarly odd problem. I seem to recall that he was able to paste the text into some other part of AE, say, a searchbox, for example, and then copy and paste it out of that into an AE text layer. But I don't remember exactly what worked for him, nor do I recall what forum it was on (although I think it was the official Adobe After Effects forum).

EDIT: AHA! I was right. Also, here's an Adobe Community search that reveals others with similar issues and their workarounds.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Copy/Paste text
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 9:13:21 pm

We're having a very hard time isolating the cause of this problem, so _detailed_ bug reports are very much welcome.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved