ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram preview/Render Error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua HockeyRam preview/Render Error
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:32:14 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm sort of new so be gentle. I'm working on a 720p project in AE CS4 and i'm trying to ram preview it and it gives me the "Needs 2 or more frames for ram preview" error that i've been seeing a few people on the net getting. So, once I get frustrated with that and just try to add to the render queue, the render fails as well, i put in all my settings and try to render and it fails. And it just says failed, no reason why. This is getting pretty frustrating, I have to turn this project in and I'm finding no way to fix this. I have 2 GB RAM, which i know isn't a lot, but it's never been a big problem like this. I've tried purging everything, checked my work area time and RAM preview options and all to no avail. Anyone know more about this? I'm stumped and getting worried for both the sake of my future AE'ing and my deadline. If you know about this, PLEASE PLEASE let me know. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram preview/Render Error
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 8:05:41 pm

[Joshua Hockey] "I'm working on a 720p project in AE CS4 and i'm trying to ram preview it and it gives me the "Needs 2 or more frames for ram preview" error that i've been seeing a few people on the net getting."

Let's eliminate the obvious: your work area is set properly, correct?

Another obvious thing to do: get the update to QE 9.0.3 that came oout a couple of months ago.

If the above things are both done, the error message could indicate the footage is in codec that AE 9 can't work well with. So please identify the codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joshua HockeyRe: Ram preview/Render Error
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:08:48 pm

Thank you so much for responding.

Yep, work area is fine, all that is completely normal. This actually just happened at random. Last night I opened the project and it was fine, all elements are photoshop/AE layers, so there's no video or anything like that. I worked with it and tweaked a couple things, RAM previewed, looked ok, saved and quit. Now today, I've done nothing different and I can't preview any of the compositions in the project and anything I add to the render queue fails. And I've confirmed that it is only this project that is giving me this problem. Do you think it's just a corrupt file? If so, I luckily have another older version that would need some work but wouldn't be a complete loss.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram preview/Render Error
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 2:27:53 am

[Joshua Hockey] " Do you think it's just a corrupt file? "

It very well could be, and I applaud your wisdom in saving an older version of the project. You can open the old one to see what happens; as long as you immediately rename it or don't save it, you're safe.

Another diagnostic tool to apply: SOMETHING has changed. What have you changed on your computer or your software since you first noticed this behavior? You could start looking there, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joshua HockeyRe: Ram preview/Render Error
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 9:46:07 pm

Ok, I have it figured out. Obviously some sort of bug. I was stubborn and didn't want to admit defeat by reverting back to the older version and did everything I could think of. Turned out an effect on one of my layers was corrupting the whole project, I removed the effect and added it back to the layer and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]