ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

frame blending time remapped pre-comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Mastersframe blending time remapped pre-comps
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:35:25 pm

Is it somehow possible to frame blend pre-comps in a composition?
This would really be handy.

I have a pre-comp with CG renders, and want to globally re-time that comp, but I do not have the options of frame blending (or interpolation)

thx.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: frame blending time remapped pre-comps
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:18:42 pm

The whole idea behind Fame Blending is to blend FRAMES, as in footage that actually contains video frames. Since comps can contain all sorts of footage, much of which don't contain frames, Frame Blending makes little sense.

But don't despair: you can prerender the comps in question, then apply a speed change and Frame Blending to the results.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: frame blending time remapped pre-comps
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:43:51 pm

if your pre-comps contain footage, then enable frame blending for those footage layers in the precomps. when you render with frame blending (or enable it for preview renders) that footage will then be frame blended.

for other, non-footage elements, ae's native motion blur usually works. when enabled, it should ramp up the blur amount with the time remap.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tom MastersRe: frame blending time remapped pre-comps
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:01:30 pm

worked great, thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:03:20 pm

Dave: didn't I say I was rendering CG passes? That is FOOTAGE, which makes total sense to re-time.
And apparently from Kevin's reply, it is very possible. I tested it, works great.

(If ya don't know, it might be best not to answer. Just sayin')

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: frame blending time remapped pre-comps
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:34:24 pm

[Tom Masters] "I have a pre-comp with CG renders, and want to globally re-time that comp, but I do not have the options of frame blending (or interpolation)"

Just to add to Dave and Kevin's excellent advice, you could also use AE's Timewarp effect, or RE:Vision Effects's Twixtor. Both use motion estimation to retime comps, and both offer far more flexibility and control than simply turning on frame blending. If you have or can render a motion vector pass from your 3D app, you can use it with Twixtor Pro for better retiming.

Closely related to this topic is motion blur; RE:Vision has another tool called ReelSmart Motion Blur which uses motion estimation to add (or reduce) motion blur. I've been using RSMB Pro Vectors, in conjunction with a motion vector pass from my 3D render, to add motion blur post-render.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:15:06 pm

very helpful, thx.
I just find the standard time re-mapping very intuitive, and now with motion estimation built in (as of CS3 I think) it is super handy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]