ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Jumpy Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil HewJumpy Video
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:08:09 am

I can't for the life solve the problem...

Originally I thought it could be a slow hard drive. But after multiple renders and compressions, it does not change.

Sorry, let me explain my problem. I recorded the video with a HD handy cam at 1080i at 25fps. I colour corrected in after effects and exported the video uncompressed so I can import it and edit it in Premiere Pro. Original format is .mts files.

But the output video is all jumpy. Audio works fine. But the video jumps back and forth a few seconds. Argh!

My system should be more than sufficient to handle the video (iMac 27" i7 2.93 GHZ Quad Core 8GB RAM) And no "it's cause it's a Mac" jokes :D

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Jumpy Video
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:52:30 am

Have you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update? That update fixes a lot of problems.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Phil HewRe: Jumpy Video
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:27:06 am

I'm using CS4 and have yet to move to CS5. My University and workplace does not use CS5 yet (work apparently plans it for next year though...) So at the moment I've stuck to CS4 at home until more places have adopted CS5...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jumpy Video
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:37:57 pm

[Phil Hew] "I recorded the video with a HD handy cam at 1080i at 25fps... Original format is .mts files... I'm using CS4 and have yet to move to CS5."

At the very least, you should get the update to AE 9.0.3 that came out a couple of months ago. But because you run AE 9, I don't think it will solve your problem, and here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:18:13 pm

Thanks for that. In the end, that's what I did. I'm also a massive fan of the Quicktime format and reconverted in the end. It was a just a pain since I had already originally done all the editing in AE and didn't want to have to go through and transfer all my colour corrections. But I guess it can't be helped. I was hoping I could find a solution that didn't require reconversion.

But thanks for explaining WHY. Now I can sound all cool and smart when someone else has this problem. The internet makes me look awesome.

I had to get the job done by the end of today, but I guess I'm pulling an all nighter reconverting all the video and retouching again. Should have seen this coming.

So, for all the other poor souls with jumpy, jittery, badly running, bad HD video. This is your answer. Get converting. Now.

Thanks again Dave!

PS. First time on this forum, but your photo... you seriously look like a white version of my Asian Grandad... Like, one for one resemblance...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Jumpy Video
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:28:01 pm

Pro tip: Rather than recreating all your color correction work, just replace the old .MTS files in your AE project with the new good ones.
From the AE help file (found by searching for "replace"):
To replace the source footage item for a layer with another footage item, without affecting changes made to the layer properties, select the layer and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto the layer in the Timeline panel.
To replace all uses of selected footage items with another footage item, select footage items in the Project panel, and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto a selected footage item in the Project panel.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:32:43 pm

Yeah! Though of that!

I was nervous things might get out of whack if I do that. Being different formats and all. I'll go ahead and do that then. Yay! ... Still need to wait for a new conversion though :) Don't have like 24GB of RAM to power through for me :D

Thanks for giving me more opportunity to sleep! That tip was greatly appreciated.

I mean, seriously, sleep is so underrated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved