ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Bring a CS4 file into CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan DonaldsonBring a CS4 file into CS5
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 8:30:53 pm

Hello. Now I am not sure if you can even do this. I have tried opening a CS5 file in CS4 but I get a message saying that the version of AE that I used is unknown and AE can not convert the file. I take this as meaning I could not convert. however, my friend said that when he brought in a CS5 file, it automatically converted the file to CS4.

Now, I know that CS4 into CS5 works that way so i am unsure if that is what he meant. I figured I would ask the pros. hopefully, there is a way to convert because I am at work and running CS4. Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Bring a CS4 file into CS5
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 9:30:13 pm

You can't open CS5 projects in CS4; AE isn't designed to be forwards-compatible.
People claim that they've been able to do it, but they've made a hack someplace. I don't know how to do it, and I don't know how reliable it would be -- how would you get a RotoBrush layer to work?

Opening CS4 projects in CS5? No problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Bring a CS4 file into CS5
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:56:22 am

It's not possible.

The only way that comes close is to copy and paste individual items from one open instance of CS5 to an open instance of CS4. Or you could maybe save as a Premiere Pro project and import that into CS4. Either way is tedious and loses a lot of information.

If you want this ability, you can file a feature request here:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved