ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects and Timecode

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gautam PandeyAfter Effects and Timecode
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 8:50:56 am

Hi.. in a bit of a situation here...

got some clips from FCP as a TGA sequence for some Green Screen work.

Matched my AE Timecode to the FCP Timecode so I could give the Editors back the clip with the same TC, as they were doing speed ramps and freezing certain frames.

The problem.. No Timecode in the MOV I sent out!

Is there a way to have TC in the clip when outputting from AE?

Gautam Pandey

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects and Timecode
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 3:57:54 pm

[Gautam Pandey] "Is there a way to have TC in the clip when outputting from AE?"

What version of AE are you using? AE CS5 adds a timecode track to rendered MOVs.

If an upgrade is not feasible, here are two other ways you (or your editor) can fix the timecode problem. It's very simple to do in FCP, but if you don't have FCP, or if you're on Windows, you could buy the cross-platform QtChange utility from VideoToolShed.

With FCP:
Import the clip that lacks timecode. Select it in the browser, then click Modify > Timecode. Tick the "Source TC" checkbox and set the starting timecode to whatever value you require.

This is one of the few changes that FCP will make destructively; in other words, this will actually alter the original file when you click Ok. In this case, it will add a timecode track. To test, you can remove the file from your project and re-import it. The timecode will now be correct.

With QtChange:
In Finder or Explorer, create a folder which will hold your non-timecode MOV (and only that one file), and move your file within that folder.

In qtChange, under Select Input, click "Pick source folder" and choose the folder that contains your MOV. Under Add / change TC / rename, enter the new starting TC and click the "add / change TC track" (it will turn green). Finally, under Reset or Alter, click "Alter all clips!"

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gautam PandeyRe: After Effects and Timecode
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 4:40:13 am

Thanks so very much Walter!! great post and full of info! :)

This has completely solved my problem! and i have another reason to upgrade now..

still on CS3 :P

Gautam Pandey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved