ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

output to apple prores 4444

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anders bundgaardoutput to apple prores 4444
by on Nov 28, 2010 at 6:36:16 pm

hello all,

i need to supply some gfx to an editor using final cut pro and he has requested it being a quicktime with prores 4444 encoding. i can't seem to find anywhere to get hold of this. does one really have to buy the full final cut pro suite to get this? does apple not make this available for people like avid does with their codecs?

thanks in advance
anders

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: output to apple prores 4444
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 1:24:06 am

[anders bundgaard] "...does one really have to buy the full final cut pro suite to get this?"

That is correct. You must buy Final Cut Suite 3, and you must run a Mac. I expect you're thinking, "thanks a lot, Apple!"

However, you can offer an alternative: an image sequence. No only do image sequences support alpha channels, they are lossless and support far more than the 10-bit color of ProRes 4444.

[anders bundgaard] "...does apple not make this available for people like avid does with their codecs? "

It does not. I am reminded of the Bad Old Days when Media 100 would not make its very good codec available without buying the Media 100 card. You will note that Media 100 is no longer a major influence in video editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

anders bundgaardRe: output to apple prores 4444
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:19:17 am

i was even sitting ready with my creditcard to buy it... i might even be tempted to buy the compressor application to get the codec as it might come in handy. nevermind.

i output most of my work as image sequences, but as the client requested a specific format i thought i'd give it a go.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: output to apple prores 4444
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 7:34:30 pm

I, along with many others, would gladly pay for a ProRes encoder.

I've got Final Cut and Macs in my shop, but we do a lot of cross-platform work, too. It's hard to make the argument that ProRes is a viable standard when you can't encode it on Windows. It's a pity -- ProRes is a great codec.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]