ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AVCHD, jumpy render in preview and export?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin MayerAVCHD, jumpy render in preview and export?
by on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:39:43 pm

Hi guys.

I've just bought a Panasonic SD60 - was really looking forward to do some editing, but unfortunately
the format AVCHD dosen't seem to work in AE CS4? I heard they tried to fix it, and it should work on CS5. It's different from time to time where the jumpy pictures (seems as frames a few seconds before get's thrown in) appear.

I hope some of you guys might get some solutions!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AVCHD, jumpy render in preview and export?
by on Nov 27, 2010 at 7:32:32 pm

AVCHD footage works much better in After Effects CS5 than it did in After Effects CS4.

I personally stood at the Adobe booth at NAB this year and encouraged people to bring me AVCHD footage from any camera and try importing it into After Effects CS5 and then try previewing and rendering and exporting. Everyone who tried was pleased with how much better this was than in CS4.

If you have problems with AVCHD footage in After Effects CS5, let us know by filing a bug report.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Martin MayerRe: AVCHD, jumpy render in preview and export?
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 2:53:49 pm

The thing is, I got CS4. Is it even possible to get CS5 for windows?
.. and by "much better" it should work in CS4? because each and every time I export something the frames jumps forwards and backwards.

I would rather not convert the footage for minimal quality loss. Or could it be done lossless without loss of quality?

Best regards
Martin Mayer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 29, 2010 at 3:41:13 pm

> Is it even possible to get CS5 for windows?

Yes.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 5:51:02 pm

Sorry. Let me refrase that. Is it even possible to get CS5 for windows 7 32-bit?
Or else I need to upgrade - but would you then be possitive that I would be able to edit my AVCHD files in AE? Without the jumpy frames, or is it just a possibility?

best regards
Martin Mayer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 7:29:20 pm

> Is it even possible to get CS5 for windows 7 32-bit?

No.

After Effects CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5 are 64-bit applications.

> but would you then be possitive that I would be able to edit my AVCHD files in AE?

I have had no difficulty using AVCHD files in After Effects CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5. It's a demanding format, so you need to have a fast computer and plenty of RAM.

If you upgrade and aren't satisfied, you can make use of the 30-day money-back guarantee.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 7:58:14 pm

I got a fairly fast computer, for gaming that is.

4GB DDR3 RAM' used to be fine, but is that enough to edit AVCHD files without the jumpy rendering :-)

Thank you a lot for the fast and competent responses.

best regards
Martin Mayer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:16:28 pm

> 4GB DDR3 RAM' used to be fine, but is that enough to edit AVCHD files without the jumpy rendering

4GB of RAM is not enough to get good performance and stability with more demanding formats. 8GB is good. 12GB is better; I've seen several people report that it's the amount that really makes Premiere Pro CS5 function smoothly and well with HD formats like AVCHD. My computers have 12GB (my Mac) and 24GB (my HP running Windows), and I've had no problems even with RED digital cinema footage.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:27:03 pm

What' your're saying is that it might be the RAM what is the problem? If I had more RAM would it then be possible to avoid the jumpy rendering? Or is it cause to CS4?

Another quick question. What is your GFX impact on the performance? It seems as RAM is the most important essence when it comes to video editing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AVCHD, jumpy render in preview and export?
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 9:46:03 pm

Sorry to say this, but this new camera of yours means you're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• You've got AE 9, which runs okay on Win XP, but you're maxed out on memory with your 32-bit OS... and lots of memory makes AE a lot better. It won't solve the AVCHD problem, but it makes AE better.
  • Your 32-bit OS won't run AE 10, which is fine with AVCHD footage, but AE 9 doesn't play nice with it.

See the problem?

You can still use AVCHD footage, but it'll be a pain to get it into AE. You'll have to convert every piece of AVCHD video you import into AE into a different codec. I'm a Mac guy, so I favor Quicktime movies in either the Animation or PNG codecs. MPEG Streamclip (free download--google it) can do the conversion. It also wouldn't hurt to have Quicktime Pro -- the best 35 bucks you'll spend for months to come.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 9:54:10 pm

Thank you for your reply.

What if I change my windows for 64-bit with AE 10 (CS5) and furthermore get 4 extra gb of RAM? How would that look like?

The whole idea behind buying the HD camera was that I should be able to create HD movies. So I want to avoid compressing and thereby losing quality. Would my proposed investment seal the deal and make it possible for me to edit my footage in AE with a great export?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:11:35 pm

[Martin Mayer] "What if I change my windows for 64-bit with AE 10 (CS5) and furthermore get 4 extra gb of RAM"

You'll need a lot more RAM than that! think in terms of 16GB, 12 GB minimum. No kidding. I just bought a Win 7 dual quad core machine for home, to be used primarily for AE work. It has 24GB RAM, and if I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more.

[Martin Mayer] "Would my proposed investment seal the deal and make it possible for me to edit my footage in AE with a great export?"

No, it wouldn't seal the deal. Not even close, for the reason stated above... and please don't say you're actually trying to edit in AE! It's just about the WORST editing application there is. Okay, Microsoft Word would be worse. But you should be using a proper editing application like Premiere, Avid, Sony Vegas or Final Cut Pro.

And you should never export from AE. Render using the AE Render Queue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:50:07 pm

So I would minimum have to have 12 GB and AE 10 before I actually can get rid of the jumpy footage in AE? Ofc. I use the AE render queue. I'm actually editing in AE. How do I get effects on a clip and contain the same quality of the footage in my final output in Premiere?

I'm willing to buy 8 extra GB RAM, Windows 7 32-bit and AE 10 if it works.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:52:03 pm

As we said:

CS5 greatly improves AVCHD handling.

More RAM helps everything.

A 64-bit operating system is required for After Effects CS5 or Premiere Pro CS5.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:58:36 pm

Sorry for pointing out the obvious. I just want to make sure that
my investment won't be for nothing. Not only talking about the upgrade from AE 9 to AE 10. Also considering OS change and RAM upgrade.

If this solves the problem I'm very grateful. Thank you for the very, very nice support here guys! I'm glad you took your time.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:58:46 pm

[Martin Mayer] "I'm willing to buy 8 extra GB RAM, Windows 7 32-bit and AE 10 if it works."

No, you can't do that. Win 7 is a 64-bit OS. If your machine can't deal with a 64-bit OS, you're stuck,

And I pity the person who tries to edit in AE. I cut in an editing application, export into AE, do my AE voodoo and render. Never a problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2010 at 2:18:46 pm

I wrote 32-bit. Of course I meant 64-bit.

Pity me then, but I'll better change to premiere then :)

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]