ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Distorted overlay image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick LeighDistorted overlay image
by on Nov 26, 2010 at 5:41:44 pm

So I am editing a hokcey game where I am overlay a scoreboard over top of the video so the viewers can see the score and time left in the game. Exactly what you see on all sports events on TV. So the video I am using was captured with an HD camcorder with 1920 x 1080 resolution. So I creted my overlay so in a document of the same size and added it to my comp.

The problem is that the image is all distorted over the video because the viewing area is obviously smaller than 1920 x 1080. When I have the viewing area as big as I can get it, the image looks better but what I am wondering is when I render the final video will this look OK or will the image always look distarted when not viewed at 1920 x 1080?

The image I am importing was created in Adobe Fireworks CS5 as a .png image.

If thats the case how can I go about fixing this problem? Thanks for your help.

Nick

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Distorted overlay image
by on Nov 26, 2010 at 9:14:04 pm

"the viewing area is obviously smaller than 1920 x 1080."
Obvious to you but not the rest of the world- what is the "viewing area"? What is your final output? Are you going to have a 16:9 format for output? Is it square pixel? Is your png file at the same PAR as the comp?
It's maybe a matter that your footage is actually 1440x1080 and your preview in the comp window looks squashed?
A bit more information would help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nick LeighRe: Distorted overlay image
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 6:38:05 pm

Hey Ted,

By viewing area I meant the comp preview area.

Here are the details of my project:

I captured the video in HD mode with my Sony camera and when I import it, AE tells me it is 1440 x 1080 which I believe means I should be using ACVHD 1080p anamorphic (1440 x 1080) 24fps. From this setting I don't think that it is square pixels. Maybe I am incorrect on my assumption.

I then created a 1920 x 1080 image I want in Fireworks for my overlay. I don't know what PAR is sorry I am fairly new to editing in After Effects. Thanks for the help.

Nick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Distorted overlay image
by on Nov 29, 2010 at 6:53:45 pm

You have a few misconceptions going on:

[Nick Leigh] "AE tells me it is 1440 x 1080 which I believe means I should be using ACVHD 1080p anamorphic (1440 x 1080) 24fps."

• If you DON'T have AE 10 (aka CS5) plus the free upgrade to 10.0.1, you can't use AVCHD. You have to use a different application to convert the footage to something AE-friendly, something lossless or uncompressed.

• You should NOT work at 24fps. The correct frame rate should be 23.976 fps.

• Working at 1440x1080 isn't a big deal; just get to know the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window to toggle between 4x3 and 16x9 views.

[Nick Leigh] "I then created a 1920 x 1080 image I want in Fireworks for my overlay."

• AE should read and display the image properly in your 1440x1080 comp. It's good about that stuff.

[Nick Leigh] "I don't know what PAR is sorry I am fairly new to editing in After Effects."

• Since you'll probably continue to work with this camera, you'll need to under stand the concept of Pixel Aspect Ratio:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

• If you really are editing in AE, I can think of no worse application to use. Okay, Microsoft Word would be worse. You need to use a proper editor like Premiere, Sony Vegas, or Final Cut Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick LeighRe: Distorted overlay image
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:29:03 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the info on PAR. Seems to be kind of complicated but I'm sure I will figure it out.

I am not editing with AE, sorry it was the wrong choice of words. I am editing the video in Premiere. I just bought the Production Suite CS5. I will have to see if I have version 10.0.1 of AE.

I am working with a Comp that is 23.976fps just put 24 because I am lazy. Sorry about that.

I have a question about the my comp. If my camera captures with 1440 x 1080 resolution I am guessing that is the size I should use for my entire project right? So use 1440 x 1080 for my comps in AE and then use that setting in Premiere as well?

Thanks for your time and help.

Nick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Distorted overlay image
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 7:47:20 pm

[Nick Leigh] "I will have to see if I have version 10.0.1 of AE."

I believe there's a "check for updates" selection under Help at the very top-right.

[Nick Leigh] "If my camera captures with 1440 x 1080 resolution I am guessing that is the size I should use for my entire project right? So use 1440 x 1080 for my comps in AE and then use that setting in Premiere as well?"

Correct, sir.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]