ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Where's the dv/dvcpro codec in AE5?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Puglisi
Where's the dv/dvcpro codec in AE5?
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:36:05 pm

This might be a dumb question...I'm trying to render standard def DV NTSC compositions from AE5 for use in a DV NTSC timeline in FCP. Problem is in CS5, the DV/DVCPRO codec in AE's output module no longer exists. Why? And what do you recommend I use instead? I'm working on a very animation/graphics-heavy project with some NTSC DV footage. Should I change codecs altogether in both AE and FCP, to something like h.264 or prores? Is DV25 NTSC the same thing? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Where's the dv/dvcpro codec in AE5?
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:47:42 pm

[Paul Puglisi] "I'm trying to render standard def DV NTSC compositions from AE5 for use in a DV NTSC timeline in FCP. Problem is in CS5, the DV/DVCPRO codec in AE's output module no longer exists. "

Are you on a Windows machine? You don't have the DVCPro 50 codec. You can buy one, however...

[Paul Puglisi] "And what do you recommend I use instead?"

Render an image sequence. It'll be lossless,

[Paul Puglisi] "Should I change codecs altogether in both AE and FCP, to something like h.264 or prores?"

ProRes would be good. Are you on a Windows box? Sorry! The best you can do is READ ProRes, you can't render it. And you can't edit in FCP in H.264.

[Paul Puglisi] "Is DV25 NTSC the same thing?"

Don't go there; it's the standard DV codec, and DV treats painstakingly-crafted graphics the way a baby treats a diaper. Kapiche?

Render to an image sequence. Life gets better instantly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Puglisi
on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:13:19 pm

Thanks Dave for your response! I am working on a Mac, and I do have the DVCPRO 50 (or DV50 at least) codec, but everything rendered in stretched widescreen when I tried it, which is no good for my 4:3 footage. There's an option in the DV50 codec to crop or resize, but I assumed that probably wasn't my best option. Your suggestion to use image sequences sounds like a plan. Thanks again! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 25, 2010 at 3:00:01 am

[Paul Puglisi] "everything rendered in stretched widescreen when I tried it, which is no good for my 4:3 footage. "

Go back and check your Render Settings and Output Module. You might have the Pixel aspect ratio wrong. Besides, all your FCP person needs to do is click off the Anamorphic check mark in the FCP browser and it's fine.

You'll have to check those settings anyways: if they're not right, the image sequence would also come out widescreen.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Puglisi
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:13:01 am

Excellent. Thanks for the help Dave!

Return to posts index

Jason Levine
on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:19:26 pm

I just upgraded to After Effects CS5 and I'm also having problems with the missing DV/DVCPRO codec but for different reasons.

The footage we use in FCP is DV/DVCPRO running at 23.976 fps. In CS4, Mmy typical workflow was to export from FCP. Import into AE. Turn Field Rendering off in the Interpret Footage window. Create my comps and render with the same DV/DVCPRO settings (also making sure Field Rendering was set to none) They came back into FCP with no problems.

Now in CS5 if I use the DV25 codec I get an error message at the bottom of the Output Module Settings window indicating a "settings mismatch" and that "the frame rate of output file will be adjusted from 23.976 to 29.97 to meet format constraints...". Then I'm forced to output at 29.97 which creates comps that run too fast in FCP. Not good.

I tried using the DV/NTSC 24p codec (never heard of it but the "24" sounded promising) and I got comps that were the correct length in FCP but they came in with Field Rendering set to "lower" (despite the fact that Field Rendering was set to OFF in AE) The result is in FCP the clips play at half resolution unless you manually go in to FCP's Item Properties and right click on the Field Dominance setting and change it to none. (After which you are no longer given the option of changing it back btw...) Manually changing the Item Properties in FCP seems to be a functioning workaround for me, but not the other editors who use my comps (and aren't technically savvy enough to be right clicking in the Item Property window)

Anyway, everything we do is for offline only so I really don't care about which codec has the best image quality. My only concern is a smooth roundtrip between FCP and AE. Is there anyway to get my old DV/DVCPRO codec into CS5?!

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]