ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with write-on effect: multiple paths, reveal original not working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Paletta
Problem with write-on effect: multiple paths, reveal original not working
on Nov 24, 2010 at 1:33:45 pm

Hi there!

I am currently working on a "growing" logo, that consists of a lump of mud, from which reed should grow.

Therefor I made multiple paths in Adobe After Effects on the transparent image of the straws and put on one write-on effect after the other. Each straw has its own path and write on effect, as they should grow partly simultaniously.

The problem I'm experiencing now is that the "reveal original" option at the write-on effects doesn't work. It shows nothing at all. Whereas the draw on original option works just fine.

To clear it out: I got 30 masks and 30 write-n effects on one layer. Maybe I didn't get it right and the effect works only once per layer? How could I solve this? You help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance and please excuse my english!

Greetings,
Jack

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Problem with write-on effect: multiple paths, reveal original not working
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:40:17 pm

Only the first instance should be 'Write on Transparent'. Subsequent instances should be 'Write on Original'.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jack Paletta
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:36:52 pm

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid that doesn't solve my problem.

I need the write-on effect to reveal the straws of the reed as if they were growing. With Write on Transparent set on the first write-on effect, it shows nothing and the rest just paints on the image instead of revealing it.

I solved it by making one layer for each straw. That means I have put the image on 30 layers, each one with another path for a single straw. On every layer I set the write-on effect to reveal original.

This is rather complex, but the result looks fine. I was just hoping to find a more "elegant" way instead of building up 30 layers with the same image.

Well, one problem remains now: How do I get rid of the dots at the beginning of each mask-path? :-/

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:29:59 pm

The dots are there since your path starts on-screen. You have 2 options,

1) set the brush animation properties to affect size, then you can animate the size from 0 to what you want.

2) move the initial path vertex off-screen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]