ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Achieving this Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor AdlerAchieving this Effect
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:46:28 am

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the forms so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I've been looking for examples of an effect I would like to achieve for one of the music videos I'll be doing this beginning of next year and I finally stumbled across something like it in the commercial which I linked below.

My questions is about the translucent blue and pink concave screen suspended in front of the nurse, seen starting at 0:06. Does anyone now where I can find a tutorial on creating this type of effect or have any tips for after effects?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Achieving this Effect
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:55:52 pm

I have done virtual GUI effects in a few projects and I can tell you that there are a few ways of achieving that effect. If all you need is something similar to the commercial you posted then it's quite easy-design a interface in AI, animate, add effects and composite in AE over your shot- you need to know exactly how you want the interface to work and coach the actor for the moves. Add a few spotlights on the actor that match the action on the GUImto give life to the action and there you have it. If you're going for something more like this:

then you need to plan everything really careful. Shoot chroma, place trackers to match the camera, plan light effects, choreograph the moves of the actor (a good storyboard would help, a simulated 3d storyboard would be best). Of course you need to track using Boujou/Syntheyes or the like, export camera move to AE, build a 3D interface in AE's 3D space and composite.
Here's a tutorial that may help:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Achieving this Effect
by on Nov 25, 2010 at 6:22:40 pm

No need for tracking if it's locked down like the trojan shot.

TMK both Boujou and Syntheyes would be a serious investment: looking for free trackers for a moving shot would be time well spent. Voodoo is one, but you need very clean footage. Also, the Icarus Project.

Boujou seems to have a demo, but I dl'd it and it wanted a license.

"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved