ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiprocessing Problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Martella
Multiprocessing Problems
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:26:14 pm

Hi
I am running on a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 20GB memory (AE CS4)
The problem I'm having is with my render times/and slowness of every move I make, from opening a project to closing a project. Render times seem to be the biggest issue. I have tested a render several times with MY computer compared to an older (Mac Pro 2 x 3.0 dual core Intel Xeon 8GB memory) and the render times were about the same on both computers. I would think it would be faster on mine right? Then I tested the multiprocessing, and that's were the biggest difference came in to play. It took my computer longer to render (twice the time) than the older computer. Is this an After Effects Problem? or is this a Hardware issue?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Multiprocessing Problems
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:37:12 pm

[Paul Martella] "Is this an After Effects Problem? or is this a Hardware issue? "

I bet it's operator error. You can't dedicate ALL the cores and RAM to AE, you won't have any left over for the operating system... which is a good thing to have. Go read this:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSDD65B476-971A-48e9-A5FD-D90E...

... and this:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSF13D6BED-C53B-408a-B2D6-C8B4...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Martella
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:59:16 pm

note:
When multiprocessing, I am leaving 2GB of memory to other apps. and allocating 2 GB per CPU using 6 cores. (that is using 14 GB of memory OUT of 20?) What am I doing wrong) How is this an operator error?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 22, 2010 at 7:05:02 pm

Well, if you feel you have your multiprocessing settings right, fine. Who am I to argue?

You may still be trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering in AE 10, which is a not good, and could also be the source of your problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Martella
on Nov 22, 2010 at 7:08:14 pm

I have OPEN GL off.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 22, 2010 at 7:11:42 pm

The last thing I have to offer up -- and I should have mentioned it right away, sorry about that -- is to get the FREE update to AE 10.0.1, which solves a lot of AE weirdness. It's just a download away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:07:58 pm

one of the best tests to see if your settings are good on a specific machine is to check the processes with the activity monitor (applications>utilities) while rendering.

if the cpu usage graph shows a high level of activity, then you configuration/settingsare pretty good. if the levels are low, then it may be time to try new settings...

so i'd say try several renders on each machine with the activity monitor running and see how the cpu usage looks... if they are peaking on both machines, then you'll know which is faster, or which settings/configuration need tweaking.

also, here's a link to a common ae benchmarking project called 'totalbenchmark':
http://www.media-motion.tv/aebenchmarks.html

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]