ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Center Text or Object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angel NievesCenter Text or Object
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:48:00 pm

Can someone tell me how to center objects or text on the comp, or align them relative to one another, other than doing it manually/visually? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Center Text or Object
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:00:03 pm

For CS4/5, CRL+Home centers a layer in the Comp Panel. For earlier versions of AE, select a layer and drag it towards the center. As you drag, add CTRL followed by SHIFT (both modifier keys held down) and your layer will snap to the center of the Comp Panel.

To align layers, it's pretty straight forward as the icons are self-explanatory. I'm taking a guess that your query is actually about distributing layers.

For example, to distribute layers horizontally across a range of pixels; start off by placing one layer at each end. Ensure that the boundaries of the other layers do not extend beyond these two layers. Think of these two layers as edge markers for your distribution area.

Now select all the layers and hit the distribute horizontal icon. If you set up your layers as prescribed, it doesn't matter which distribute horizontally icon you click.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Angel NievesRe: Center Text or Object
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:21:00 pm

The shortcuts which you mentioned didn't work for me. Maybe because I'm on a laptop. However, the Align window has all the icons I need, and I wasn't familiar with that before. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:27:48 pm

The SHIFT & CTRL keys aren't on your notebook?

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Angel NievesRe: Center Text or Object
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:00:02 pm

I have Ctrl and Home keys but they don't seem to center the layers. Sometimes shortcuts don't work on laptops because the keyboards are abridged, and the keys are sometimes combined with other keys, limited, etc. For some reason, those shortcuts didn't work. Let me know if you find shortcuts for the MacBook Pro that work. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:21:51 pm

The drag+SHIFT+CTRL routine I outlined in my first post works in all versions of AE.

Info on setting up alternative shortcut keys can be found here - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12174941

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Center Text or Object
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:31:36 pm

Generally speaking, any shortcut that uses Control on a PC will use Command (the Apple key) on a Mac.

On a Mac, the shortcut to center a layer is Command-Home. On a MacBook Pro, it's Command-Fn-LeftArrow.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]