ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Hot coffee steam

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex CortesHot coffee steam
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 12:19:27 pm

whats up everyone!

I shot a 30 sec spot coffee commercial for a class, using Juan Valdez as my product and the footage came out great, however i want to incorporate steam to the coffee mug. i think the hot steam coming out from the top of the mug would be the right touch.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how i can create the steam effect using adobe AE. i would appreciate any tips and helps. thanks !

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Hot coffee steam
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:56:48 pm

You can add steam fairly easily with a particle system like CC Particle World (included with AE) or Trapcode particular (pricey but worth it). There are tons of tutorials out there and here on the Cow about using particles. I would suggest searching for tutorials about "smoke" as well as "steam".

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Hot coffee steam - old school method
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:13:21 am

Just a thought, before you break out the particle systems and start tweaking. If there's one thing that really looks like steam coming off the top of a hot mug of coffee, it's the real thing, and the setup is not that hard (and you can drink it afterwards!). If you shoot a real mug of coffee against a black backdrop, with just enough light to highlight the wisps of steam, you can overlay the steam footage on the mug you already shot. Admittedly, it's not as flexible as particle systems - if you want the wisps of steam to form the coffee company logo, you're pretty much out of luck if you're shooting the real thing! - but sometimes steam, smoke, etc is simpler to shoot than to recreate.

Return to posts index

Alex CortesRe: Hot coffee steam
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:34:08 pm

Thanks very much for all the tips and help. i have seen some tutorials online on how to create the steam effects. i will view the ones on creative cow as well i think its the right help and just what i need. thanks again

stay cool

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved