ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing 'Interpet Footage' options of a clip once it is already in a comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
Changing 'Interpet Footage' options of a clip once it is already in a comp?
on Nov 21, 2010 at 3:29:21 am

I have been editing a project in Premiere Pro for some time now with the intention of importing my project into After Effects at the end to add effects to each individual clip, but I am having a problem.

Basically every clip in my Premiere Pro sequence/project needs a different treatment in After Effects. I am integrating both 24p footage that requires pulldown removal in After Effects, and 60i footage that I'm converting to 24p slow motion in After Effects. Every clip in my film needs one of these two processes. My film is 12 minutes long with over 150 shots. It is already edited in Premiere.

Importing and exporting every single clip in After Effects in order to work with them in Premiere would have taken an enormous amount of time. I was under the impression that once finished editing, I could import my project into After Effects and add effects to each clip individually, but I am having an issue. My worst fear is that I will have to add each effect and re-edit the entire film. :/

When I import my Premiere Pro project into AE, the Premiere timeline is converted into an AE comp with every edited clip inside. It also imports all of the unedited source files and places them in a bin/folder. My problem is I can't seem to change the clip settings if they're already in a comp (I need to go to Interpret Footage>Main>Conform to Frame Rate). I can only edit these settings in the unedited source file before they are placed in a comp. So if my project is already edited in Premiere and placed in an AE comp, I seem to be stuck because all I can do is add effects like color correction, but not edit the clip settings. Is it not possible to edit the 'conform to frame rate' option of a clip once it is already added to a comp? If I can't find a way to edit each clip's settings once they are already in a comp, that means I would need to do it individually to each unedited clip, basically meaning I'd have to re-edit my entire project. If someone can tell me if there is a way to get around this without starting all over, it would be a life saver. Thanks.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Changing 'Interpet Footage' options of a clip once it is already in a comp?
on Nov 21, 2010 at 9:49:53 am

You can 'copy' a clip's Interpret Footage settings. Thereafter, you can paste those interpretation settings onto one or more footage item that you select (multiple selections are supported) in the Project Panel.

You may have 150 footage items but I'm sure they can be grouped based on their Interpret Footage settings.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:16:07 am

I'm not sure if you understand my question...my footage is already integrated into an AE comp. All previous instructions I've read say that my 'Interpret Footage' settings need to be set before placing it in a comp. Is this true? I don't care about changing the 'Interpet Footage' settings individually within the project panel...the point is, my clips are already being used in a comp. Can I still change their 'Interpret Footage' settings? I tried doing this, but it did not transfer to the clips if they were already in the comp. It still rendered out unchanged unless I then placed that clip into a new comp. Does that make sense? I need to know if there is any possible way to change these settings once a clip is already inside of a comp I am working with.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:32:31 am

[Jake Huddleston] "my clips are already being used in a comp. Can I still change their 'Interpret Footage' settings?"

Yes you can. Interpret Footage kicks in automatically when you import a footage item. Occasionally, the interpretation may be incorrect, the clip's metadata may have been incorrectly labeled or you simply want to set properties such as looping in the IF dialog window.

Now, all this is relevant to AE. I'm not certain on the mechanics with PremierePro's IF.

My guess is that since the footage and comp originated from PPro, that's where you will need to change the IF and not within AE. I think this seems to be the best solution too from a software engineering POV.

Good Luck
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:49:40 am

Okay, that's beginning to clear things up. Because when I click on a clip in the Project Panel, I can go to 'File>Interpret Footage>Main' and change the settings. However, if that same clip in the Project Panel has been used in a comp, I can got to 'File', but 'Interpret Footage' is grayed out and won't allow me to change anything.

Now, you say that since my comp originated as a sequence in Premiere Pro, I may need to change the clip settings there before converting the sequence into an AE comp? I guess I'm not sure where to begin, but I will try to figure it out. I hope that, for instance, changing the frame rate of a clip doesn't affect the footage if it is edited on a 60i timeline within Premiere. I will try to figure it out and come back if I have any more issues. Thank you for your expertise!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]