ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Random shuffle in from both sides

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad HodgsonRandom shuffle in from both sides
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 1:38:23 am

Hey all,

This seems like a very simple problem, but I'm having trouble making it happen easily.

I need text to randomly fly in horizontally (by character or word... not sure yet) from both sides to end and create a sentence.

In animation presets, there is a animation called "Random Shuffle" that seemed like it would work perfectly with some adjustment of the speed of the offset... I can animate it in via characters or words depending on client's preference... great. But, I CAN NOT for the life of me get it to animate that one sentence in from both sides of the screen... I can obviously duplicate the text layer and reverse the position so it comes in from the opposite side, but it duplicates all the letters twice... and I don't want to have to manually mask letters out as I need to duplicate this comp several times for several different supers...

I thought I could just duplicate the animator on the text layer so there are 2 "random shuffle" animators on the same text layer, reverse position of one, but it seems to cancel one out or something... it just won't work. Any suggestions?

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Random shuffle in from both sides
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 9:43:48 am

What you want the actual effect to look like (fast? slow? erratic movements?) will depend on a variety of settings. For the ultimate control, the Text Expression Selector looks like it'll work for you. The COW's AE Expressions Forum will be a better source for a solution.

For a hack version, you should take a look at the Wiggly Selector.

If you want more assistance here ten you will have to describe how fast slow you want the movements. There are lots that can be done with the Text Tool but it's still going to require a lot of tweaks to get it done.

Good Luck

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Brad HodgsonRe: Random shuffle in from both sides
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 3:37:40 pm

Thanks, Roland... I need it to look pretty much like the "Random Shuffle" effect, except be able to adjust that animation so the words/characters come in from both sides instead of one side. Speed needs to be adjustable. I'll post some help over in the expressions forum, too. Thanks for the reply!

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Random shuffle in from both sides
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 2:46:59 am

What about spliting the sentence up into two parts and animating them individually?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved