ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 Rotobrush?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike KelleyAfter Effects CS5 Rotobrush?
by on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:17:36 am

I'm trying out the demo of AE CS5 and am stuck -- probably due to old age or just not having used AE for nearly a decade (or both) but I can't figure out how to get the Rotobrush to render more than 20 frames.

I create the matte and hit the spacebar and that's how far it goes before it stops (it keeps playing but no longer renders the matte). If I go back to the end of those 20 frames I can draw a new RB and hit spacebar and get it to render another 20 frames, but that's it.

I've tried all the user things I used to do with effects but I don't see any way to adjust this, so please help this befuddled old man.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects CS5 Rotobrush?
by on Nov 20, 2010 at 3:55:00 am

Roto Brush is not a tool that you can jump right into using without reading the documentation first.

There are several useful resources pointed to from this page.

Regarding your specific question, read this section about Roto Brush spans.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 Rotobrush?
by on Nov 20, 2010 at 6:06:44 am

To elaborate on Todd's sage advice, I see that you haven't used AE for quite some time.

A lot has changed. Here's the biggest change, in my opinion:

AE is now a 64-bit application, which solves many problems and creates new ones... the biggest one being, "how am I going to afford all the memory this application can use?"

AE's always been a RAM hog, and guess what? It still is!

I personally got a new Windows machine recently for AE 10, and it contains 24GB; if I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more. My machine can expand to 48 GB in a heartbeat.

If you can tough it out through the online help -- Lord, I miss the manuals! -- there is excellent information to be gleaned. There is a LOT of web video clips that help illustrate various techniques.

But the thing I miss most are the pages in the manual that showed each and every window and pane in AE, clearly labeled and including descriptions of what each and every button and switch did. Boy, was that helpful....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved