ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Revealing Text with particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mort Ulbricht
Revealing Text with particles
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:51:41 am

Heyho :-)

I searched for 2 days now, I still didn´t found, what I need. So if it is already in a post or a tutorial, plz don´t be mad with me.

Ok, here´s my problem.
I wrote a text and used the path mask and stroke to reveal the text over time.
But now I would to have particles flying around the point, where the point of the letter become visible.
At moment I am animating the stroke effect from End 0% to End 100% over a time of 15 seconds and putting a keyframe from particles every frame.

But with this "technique" I need a whole day to animate just 1 font, and I would like to have about 10 -.-

Thx for help :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Revealing Text with particles
on Nov 19, 2010 at 2:44:47 pm

Why not just set start and end keyframes for your particle emitter?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 19, 2010 at 3:23:43 pm

cauze I would like to have, that the particles flying around the "new born" piece of the letter.
I want, that the particles goes the same way like the stroke, writing the word.

Maybe I can´t clearly say what I want... -.-

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 19, 2010 at 3:55:47 pm

What effect are you using to write your particles? You should be able to paste your path as a motion path to a null object and parent the emitter to that null.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:01:43 pm

Thx very much for the fast anser :-)

I used the effect "Particle".
Yeah, I understand, that I can track the particles to the Null Object, but then I still have to keyframe the Null Object, that it goes the same way like the strokepath, doesn´t it?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:08:44 pm

you should be able to copy/paste the mask path into the position property of the null (selec the the mask path, copy; select the position property, paste). then the null should follow the path. you'll probably need to adjust the timing of the position keyframe to match the stroke timing, but the positioning should be fine.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:19:54 pm

wow, thank you very much. I got to copy it, but only for 1 mask. How can I do this for more masks, laying on my text?

And how to parent my particles to the Nullobject?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:32:54 pm

select the layer that has the path in the timeline and type 'm' to reveal the mask path.

select the mask path property and choose edit>copy.

select the null layer, type 'p' to reveal the position property, select that and choose edit>paste. you should now have the null following the path, but the timing may not match you stroke.

to fix that, just slide the first and/or last keyframes to match the start/end properties for the stroke effect.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:44:15 pm

Thank you for your fast answer, but no, its just doing a new maskpath in the Nullobject.

And how can I do this, when I have more masks? Can I aplly more masks to 1 Null Object?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:56:31 pm

[Mort Ulbricht] "its just doing a new maskpath in the Nullobject."

make sure you select the property called 'mask path', not the mask (probably named mask 1).

[Mort Ulbricht] "Can I aplly more masks to 1 Null Object?"

yes, you'll need to select the other mask path property, copy it, then select the position property of the null and paste, just make sure the the current time does not overlap the other position keyframes (or unexpected positioning will occur...).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:58:20 pm

Cool, thank you very much. I will try this later :-)

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:41:25 pm

I am really sorry, to ask that dumb, but how can I open mask path? I see only Opacity, Scale, Position.
That all.

And my After Effects Help is broken, so I need to ask, sorry again :-(

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:10:54 pm

Sorry, forgot to write ^^
With m it opens shape, but when I click on this and then on the Null Object, I can copy a mask, but nothing happens then. The Null Object don´t move. And when I copy it to position of the Null object, I get only 3 different points and not the mask.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:18:25 pm

See if this page helps.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:41:21 pm

Uhm, thank you very much, but they speak from a shape path and a mask path too. But I can find only a shape path, no mask path. And with "m" its shape path too.
Is it different at german keyboards maybe? Or are they the same, although they speak about them, as if they are 2 different?
(sorry for the bad english)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:22:28 pm

You said that you have a shape path. It should work for a shape path just like it does for a mask path:
Copy a path to the clipboard: (Select a Path property in the Timeline panel, and choose Edit > Copy.)
In the Timeline panel, select the property into which to paste the path.
Place the current-time indicator at the time for the first keyframe of the motion path.
Choose Edit > Paste.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]