ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Renders are problematic

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Brandon Yates
Renders are problematic
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:25:48 am

When I render something, other comps are popping up in the render. Even if I render a solid red layer in a completely new and blank project, the footage from other projects are dropping frames into the rendered red solid.... Did I explain that sufficiently? Please help if you have experienced this.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Renders are problematic
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:05:36 pm

it sounds like something is going wrong with the cache. try choosing edit>purge>all and see if the problems go away.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:30:00 pm

If Kevin's suggestion doesn't work, you'll need to provide more information about your machine, memory, OS and software versions... you get the idea. Details are good when diagnosing problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:14:13 pm

THank you guys for helping :) I'm on win7 x 64 and it is cs5. I have tried to purge all, and cleared my disk cache and even renamed the project that was dropping itself into other renders (and deleted the original project). Somehow renders are still finding it and dropping its frames in.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:20:46 pm

How much memory do you have on this machine? Please don't say 4GB.........

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:33:41 pm

3gb ;/ I've been rendering AE cs5 for several months on this project i'm on but it just started a few days ago. I had started using nucleo pro recently but it was working fine for a week before the problem started. I also updated my java recently, not sure if either of those could be a problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:52:20 pm

[brannon bates] "3gb"

Three gigabyes? THREE GIGABYTES?

Jeez, I sound like Doc Brown in Back To The Future: "ONE-POINT-TWENTY-ONE GIGAWATTS?"

Anyway, 3GB just ain't gonna cut it in AE 10. It's a cinch you can't use multiprocessing; I have a dual-quad core Mac Pro at work with 8 GB, and I don't even think about using multiprocessing. At home, I just got a dual quad core Windows box with 24 GB in it, and if I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more. But I now feel confident about using multiprocessing at home.

You absolutely MUST get more memory on that machine of yours.

Furthermore, if you're trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering, turn it off NOW. The guys at Adobe don't use Open GL when they render... kapiche?

Those are two very common causes of AE weirdness. A third is not having the free update to AE 10.0.1, which you should most certainly have.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:07:42 pm

kapiche :) I'm not using multiprocessing. I just finished the adobe update, still no luck. Has to be a link to a cache somewhere.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:42:01 pm

is this a problem with any comp/project, or is it specific to one?

there are some time effects (cc widetime and cc time blend) that use cached frames and there is a workflow to use when using those effects, so if it is specific to this comp/project and you are using those effects, then that may be the issue.

if it is any comp/project, and this has recently occurred i would try a reboot.

other settings you could try is to disable disk caching in the disk cache preference, disable multiprocessing in the multiprocessing preference and disable opengl in the preview preference.

you might even try resetting the prefs file by holding shift-option-command (osx) or shift-ctrl-alt (win) when launching ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:58:30 pm

Those were great suggestions, I tried them all with no luck. I'm stumped. It is any project btw. I reset preferences, made a new project, new comp, added a gray solid, rendered it, and still seeing other frames from other comps in the final output.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:14:59 pm

you mentioned nucleo earlier, have you tried disabling nucleo? it makes sense that nucleo would have it's own cache for the background processes that it has to launch, maybe it is causing this...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:19:18 pm

[Kevin Camp] "it makes sense that nucleo would have it's own cache for the background processes that it has to launch, maybe it is causing this..."

Not only that, but it's eating up valuable RAM. He's running AE with a measly 3GB on the whole machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:23:51 pm

I uninstalled nucleo and it didn't help. However I reinstalled it and it still had the cache info from before. I deleted its cache, didnt help. Nucleo rendered out a couple dozen comps fine before this issue. I really didn't have any problems until someone worked on my computer and changed the java version. Could java do this? Or is it a nucleo issue?

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:24:54 pm

I am updating my nvidia driver right now too.

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:53:08 pm

Well I updated CS5, updated my drivers, cleared all cache I could find, still no luck. I guess my best question to you guys is what are the known paths to cache data for after effects? If I clear all out maybe it will work?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:00:20 pm

i may have missed this, but are you running the latest version of cs5 (10.0.1, i believe)?

and i don't see how a java update would have caused this, but i suppose it's possible... if you disable/unistall nucleo, reboot and reset the preferences start a new project and see this behavior, i really don't know what else might be to blame...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:16:46 pm

Hey Kevin, I did with no luck. My production is halted and i'm really worried about having to do a reinstall considering how many plugins i have. This is a nightmare. But, I guess if nobody has any more suggestions I'll have to pull the trigger on it. Any last ideas on where the cache could be causing this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:30:14 am

[brannon bates] "Any last ideas on where the cache could be causing this?"

Yes.
If it'd true that you've actually been running AE 10 on just 3 GB RAM, YOU NEED MORE RAM RIGHT NOW

Think about getting 12 - 16 GB, bare minimum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brandon Yates
on Nov 20, 2010 at 9:40:53 am

Hey again, I was wondering if you guys might have a second look at this problem. I did try rendering out as .tif sequence, and .mov and the renders a clean. It's only with .avi that I'm getting the flicker / phantom frame issue. So perhaps that codec is fried or something? Any thoughts on that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:58:47 am

[Brandon Yates] "...perhaps that codec is fried or something? Any thoughts on that?"

Highly doubtful on the bad codec thing. Highly probable on the lack of memory thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]