ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slow motion smoke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Nevington
Slow motion smoke
on Nov 18, 2010 at 10:20:50 pm

I have some footage of water vapour that I want to overlay onto a foggy scene to make it look more smokey. It is to be a very low opacity effect, not too noticable.

I want to slow the footage down about 10-20 times. If I was to take each frame individually and fade it into the next, I think it would look good for purpose. I would like to know if there is any sound way of doing this automatically before it takes me forever...

Thanks, Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Slow motion smoke
on Nov 18, 2010 at 11:34:50 pm

I think effect-time-timewarp would look better than timestretch because smoke needs to move smoothly. I'd recommend filter extreme, vector 100, smooth 28 and speed 30%.if you need it even slower, precomp and copy the effect again to furthur slow down. Then take that comp and use transfer mode overlay/soft light/screen, at opacity 10%

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Jeff Nevington
on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:33:55 pm

Thanks for that, I will go through this very slowly and let you know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

Jeff Nevington
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:21:03 pm

Thanks, it worked perfectly. It looked far better than frame blending with a time stretch. The only problem I had was that after putting the timewarp in, the footage length did not stretch appropriately, it stayed the same and so a lot was missing. I sorted the problem by pre rendering the footage with a long black space on the end of it, then applying the effect but there must be a simpler way.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 19, 2010 at 7:32:56 pm

precomp it and then apply timewarp to the precomp. make sure the precomp becomes longer too.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]