ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering out in wmv nuisances

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick EdwardsRendering out in wmv nuisances
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:08:50 pm

Hello there,

I'm an After Effects CS4 32bit user and I have been using it for a year or more. CC has helped me on many occasion when I've had problems; it's a great site.

However, after searching for solutions to my problem on the net there doesn't seem to be anything about the problem, and I'm only just getting around to posting about it now.

Basically, when I render out a project as a .wmv, it renders out like 30 frames, then pauses for a second, then renders out another 30 frames etc etc. So my question is this; is it normal for it to keep pausing while rendering? Is it just saving a second of footage to the final video or something? Is there a solution so that it just renders out at a constant rate or do I have to spend twice as long rendering out stuff.

Note: the final video is fine. No stutters or anything. It's just when rendering out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering out in wmv nuisances
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:42:19 pm

Rendering to Windows Media isn't the world's best idea. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved