ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 Crashes on startup

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Seiffert
AE CS4 Crashes on startup
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:53:19 pm

I read through a post very similar to this on here but wanted to start a new thread. When I open AE CS4 it gets hung up at 'initializing media core' and then it crashes. From searching this probelm, this is probably caused by third-party plugins and is solved by removing/uninstalling them. The only problem is, I don't know how to do this. I tried going to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins to remove them but no such directory exists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jordan

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: AE CS4 Crashes on startup
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:14:48 pm

plugins can also get installed in the old applications>adobe after effects>plugins folder, so you might want to check there too.

also reseting the prefs file (if you haven't done so already) can often help. for osx, hold shift-option-command while starting ae, click ok to create a new prefs file.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jordan Seiffert
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:33:49 pm

I checked the applications/adobe after effects/plugins folder and saw only the stock plugins (effects, extensions, format, keyframe). I also reset the prefs and it still crashed.

Once in a while when I start AE, it will open and allow for 'one last save' before it has to quit. I don't have the error copied right now, but it had to do with some chinchillada directory. Maybe this is a clue to the problem.

Thanks for the reply,
Jordan

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 18, 2010 at 10:04:50 pm

[Jordan Seiffert] "Once in a while when I start AE, it will open and allow for 'one last save' before it has to quit."

if you are opening ae by opening a project file, try just opening ae and see if it opens.

if it does, then try opening the project file. if it crashes, reopen ae and try importing the project file.

if it crashes again, turn caps lock on and try importing the file. if that works, go to preferences>previews and disable opengl.

also make sure you have the latest update to your version of ae. cs4 is 9.0.3 and cs5 is 10.0.1.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jordan Seiffert
on Nov 19, 2010 at 1:24:33 am

I tried these steps with no luck. I have 9.0.3 also.
Software continues to crash.. :/

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:00:22 pm

at this point i think you may be looking at an uninstall and reinstall. and before adding any 3rd party plugins, make sure the app will open.

if it doesn't open without any extras added, then you can call adobe support. installation problems should be free, and i would think that this would count as an installation problem.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]