ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What is your type?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberlingWhat is your type?
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:48:49 pm

I made this for an intro to a "Vox pop" that had to do with asking people what they view in the opposite sex

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you like and dislike.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What is your type?
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 8:14:53 pm

Travis, thanks for posting this. Almost all of the posts here are about technical minutia, so it's a refreshing change to discuss the art and craft a bit.

Overall, I love the feel -- I think the style, palette, and visual and sound designs support your goal really well. It's clean and simple, as well as retro and fun, like a game show.

A couple specific points: I think it might be too dependent on the sound track. When I watched it without the sound, I didn't get the sense of wrong-wrong-right from the visuals (the X's and O's are easy to miss in the corner). Visually, I think that it could have been a little more dynamic -- maybe some camera movement up front? I also noticed that some of the squares in the background pattern seem to break the grid, and I found that a little distracting.

A couple general questions on messaging: does the segment always ask about women, or does it also ask about men? Is it a one-way commentary (like we see here, picking one person from the wheel), or is a two-way commentary, more like matching two people? What kinds of differences in "type" does the segment get at -- and is there some way that you can incorporate that without losing your nice iconic/silhouette treatment?

Again -- thanks for posting this. It's good work, and I hope we can all have more conversations like this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

travis heberlingRe: What is your type?
by on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:04:11 pm

I really appreciate the responds....I don't normally see many responds in such detail. =)

I noticed the issue with the sound...I didnt really know where to put the marks to keep them from being too distracting.

I originally had them covering the characters but it just seemed too over the top.

And yeah...we did ask multiple people both male and female during the vox pop, so maybe it would be good to incorporate a female side as well.

well thanks again I really appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved