ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan RogersMotion Tracking Advice
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:04:51 pm

Okay... I'm getting ready to start and need a little advice on how to do it properly.

What we are doing is a commercial where several people will be handing a CG'd web image to one another, and this will be all done in one shot.

My question is what is the best way to track the shot, to make this as easy as possible. I have a few other issues with this, but the tracking issue will help me answer a few of them. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking Advice
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:17:22 pm

I STRONGLY recommend running a test before you commit to this. I would also shoot on the best camera possible, and that ain't HDV or even XDCam. Here's the test:
  • Paint the prop to be passed chroma key green.
  • At the corners, paint magenta squares, right out to the edge of the prop.
  • Shoot the passing motion using whomever. Make sure it's nicely lit.
  • Then do a corner-pin motion track, and apply it to the CG web page. To minimize rotoscoping, animate a garbage matte in the section where the people's hands hold onto the prop and key in the web page.

If you have Mocha, you can do a SECOND test, this time on a prop with NO magenta corners. Track the prop in Mocha, apply it to the CG web page, and do the chroma key.

As you can see, there isn't a single way to do this.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion Tracking Advice
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:05:10 pm

Here's another thought: any chance of mounting a handle on the BACK of the prop? Then the talent doesn't even have to wrap their hands around its edges as they pass it, making your task much easier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]