ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 Keyframe value jumping when using slider controls?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Falk
AE CS5 Keyframe value jumping when using slider controls?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:49:03 pm

Hi All

This is one of those desperate 'please please help me!!' posts.

I have a weird 'bug' in AE CS5. I just got off the phone from Adobe support who, it turns out, are in India and will not help me unless I pay £30 - but the guy did say he had never heard of such a thing so I figured the money would probably not be well spent.

Here is my best description:

In AE CS5 (version 10.0.1.19) on Windows 7 64 Professional I have the following behaviour.

If I have an item (video, text, image) in a comp and I want to animate it, I set a keyframe. I then use the slider controls in the interface to set the perameter value of the keyframe. So far so good. BUT, the moment I release the left mouse button which I have been holding down to move the slider control, after about 1.5 seconds the keyframe perameter value will change to a random value.

This affects all plugins, keyframes and perameters. If I then undo and reset to my specified value, the second time of asking it mostly stays where it should. If I type in the value it stays. This happens to me, I would say, about 60% of the time - this means I do many animation tasks twice. The worst thing is when you don't notice the random jump immediately and realise some time down the track that it all looks wrong.

The interface also feels kind of 'sticky' or laggy, if I move a slider it takes a little delay for the item in the comp to move in time with the slider control. I feel this is a realted issue but of course I could be wrong.

Of course this is driving me absolutely insane on a daily basis - can anybody help me with this one? By the way I have updated the software and the bug remained. Nothing like this happens in the other Adobe products I use and the interface generally feels so much less smooth and precise than CS3 did on XP. I can't remember if it has always been there or not - it feels to me like it crept in and is getting worse.

As I see it - it could be an AE bug, maybe some bug in the mouse system or a Windows issue. Generally I am totally at a loss of how to fix this and would be so grateful for any advice.

Best wishes all!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS5 Keyframe value jumping when using slider controls?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 5:23:11 pm

If Open GL is on in AE, turn it OFF. For now, turn it off for both previewing and rendering. You might be able to turn it on later for previewing, but NEVER use it to accelerate rendering.

Then you should check your memory allocations. Here are the latest recommendations:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

If you don't have more than 8 GB RAM, multiprocessing doesn't often work well in AE 10, so unless you know what you're doing, just forget about using it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:09:58 pm

Let's also make sure you've got your AE Lingo straight.

When you say "slider", are you talking about the Slider control used in conjunction with expressions...

...or are you talking about the sliders found in a layer's Effect Controls window, used to adjust effect parameters?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:26:10 pm

Hi Dave!

Thanks so much for this advice, I won't be able to try it out until I hit work tomorrow but it feels good just to have hope :)

I forgot to include more informative system specs - apologies for that:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
Core i7 3.06 Quad Core
12GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX3800
1 x 1 TB SATA HDD for System and Apps
2 x 1 TB SATA HDD for video and project files - RAID 0

I will try those memory settings tomorrow - pretty sure I have OpenGL switched on so tomorrow could be a good day.

Just saw your last post - I am NOT referring to expression control sliders but to the sliders in the effect controls window. I tend to use the non-expanded sliders the most - in other words I tend to put cursor on the parameter value number and drag left or right to change. I use the actual slider (after clicking the little arrow to expand) only if I need finer control which is not so often.

So generally I am using this view in the effect control window:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i1.creativecow.net/u/46137/ani...

... but pretty sure it happens on both sliding the number value and on the expanded slider. Sorry if this lingo is wrong - what do you call this stuff!?

I really appreciate your help so far and can't wait to try out your advice - it will be a real relief if it works - I am on constant deadlines and on a bad day this does effect my ability to deliver as promised.

Thanks again

Jay

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:25:08 pm

[Jay Falk] "what do you call this stuff!? "

That's a tough one: this is the first time I've ever heard of a Effects Property slider behaving erratically. It's never come up before!

I guess for purposes of moving on to better communications, "Expression Control Slider" and "Effects Property Slider" are completely unambiguous.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:27:52 pm

Hi Dave

So I just googled 'Windows 7 sticky mouse' and it seems to be a widespread problem. Seems many people are experiencing mouse misbehaviour in W7 64 especially when using Logitech (as I do). Not sure why this would be so specific to AE though so it could be unrelated but I will test that out after checking the Open GL and memory settings.

Keep you posted!

Jay

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:13:04 pm

Good plan - I'll stick to those terms.

It's helpful just to try to explain this clearly to someone - and it gave me a thought, maybe I just have a sticky mouse button (these things are often more simple than we think).

Maybe when I depress the button on my value of choice in the Effect Control window, the delay is due to the button depress not registering immediately in the software and then the value jumps to the position of my mouse when the depress does register, my cursor is normally well on the way back to the timeline when this random value jump occurs so it could be that. The fact no-one seems to have heard of such a thing suggests to me it may not be an AE issue.

I'll take 3 different 'mice' to work tomorrow including an old school analogue and see what that reveals.

Will report back.

Thanks again

Jay

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:31:06 pm

Hi Dave

Apologies for the late reply, the OpenGL settings seem to have completely fixed my issue - many thanks for all your help.

Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]