ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color transitions not smooth.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat JencksColor transitions not smooth.
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:22:31 pm

I'm creating an animation which involves smooth and slow transitions from one color to another on flat colored elements.

Currently I have the objects as medium gray, and am using the change color to effect keyframed to implement the color transitions.

As the color changes there are noticable "bumps" in the transition, as the color "jumps" from one shade to another.

I know this might be a limitation of my 8-bit display, but it doesn't seem like it. The change to color effect is a 16-bit effect, so I would think that the transitions should be smooth.

I tried keyframing using the hue/saturation effect as well which is 32-bit and got a similar result.

I will see if I can setup a system to monitor this on a system with a kona card / HDlink Pro / Dreamcolor 10-bit display to see if this is simply as display issue, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this?

Thanks!
-Nat

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Color transitions not smooth.
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:29:27 pm

are you also setting the project to use the higher bit-depth?

you can set the project bit-depth in file>project settings, or just option-click (osx) or alt-click (win) the 8-bpc text at the bottom of the project panel

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nat JencksRe: Color transitions not smooth.
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:38:08 pm

My project is set to 16-bit... I just tried setting the project to 32-bit and using the hue/saturation effect which is a 32-bit effect, and got a similar result...

Hmm...

It's super easy to see if you take black and change to something like 18% gray over the course of 5 seconds.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:59:05 pm

i see what you mean...

i did find that the solid composite effect is 32bpc and it does create smoother color transitions. i think it may work for what you are doing... set the color for the solid (or even use the fill effect), set the second color and then animate the source opacity.

hovering the pointer over the viewer while stepping though the comp produces unique rgb values for every frame in the info panel.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:24:10 pm

Interesting, I do not get a smoother transition when using the Solid Composite effect. If I do the same transition (from black to 30% gray over 10 seconds) using both methods, I get the same result, i.e. major stepping as it moves through certain places in the gradient.

Also, 16bit of color depth per channel should be WAY more than enough to prevent this type of posterization / stepping. Im wondering if it is simply my 8-bit display?

Thanks for the feedback Kevin!
best
-Nat

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:45:15 pm

the display could definitely effect the way it looks. but check the rgb values info panel (window>info) as you pagedown thru the timeline while the pointer hovers over the preview. you should see unique values for each frame.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2010 at 1:05:35 am

Good call, re looking at the RGB values with the info tab. Using the change to color method (a 16bit effect), I can see that the values change on every frame, in what looks like a linear way, however the displayed color jerks around...

Must be a display issue! I will confirm this soon, viewing this comp on a system with a kona card and a 10-bit monitor.

Thanks again!
-Nat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]