ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

bit embarrassed to ask really...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Buonomo
bit embarrassed to ask really...
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:12:32 pm

but... what do the numbers in brackets indicate? (I mean the first set, not the PAR)

Obviously they are half of the project so it must be some kind of quality setting, but where? And to what does it relate? Rendering? Or just viewing? In the viewer the comp is set to 100% and full resolution, so I guess it must be rendering. But as it is a pre-comp and I haven't rendered it on its own, why does it have this setting?

A

Vertigo Productions

http://www.vertigo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: bit embarrassed to ask really...
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:40:25 pm

It's the Composition Panel's current resolution. Based on your screenshot, the selected comp is at one-half resolution. It can't be full resolution. Perhaps the parent composition is at full resolution but certainly not the composition that is selected in that screenshot.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Antony Buonomo
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:47:09 pm

Thanks Roland, but this seems a bit weird. As you can see from this new screenshot the comp is definitely at 100%.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:53:32 pm

Hi Anthony, perhaps the Project Panel hasn't updated itself after you made the change to the comp's resolution. Try selecting another comp in the Project Panel and reselect the particles comp.

Shouldn't you be rendering instead of worrying about this? ;-)

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Antony Buonomo
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:55:28 pm

ha! You're absolutely right! You read my mind. I just wanted to make sure it didn't affect any rendering resolutions.

Thanks again.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Antony Buonomo
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:00:48 pm

Actually, I've worked out. It's a very tiny bug. If the viewer resolution is set to 'Auto' the project window doesn't recognise it. It goes back to whatever the previous setting was.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 18, 2010 at 2:48:26 pm

Interesting find there. Do take note that every comp setting except the duration of the comp can be changed in the Render Settings Dialog.

FWIW, I never set my comp's resolution to Auto. It's either full, half or quarter. The relevant shortcut keys to set the Comp Panel to these settings, respectively, are CTRL+J, CTRL+SHIFT+J and CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+J.

It's best to stick to familiar resolutions as this allows you to more easily detect issues within the image in the Comp Panel should any issue crop up.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
I'm not embarrassed, I'm annoyed! Big time!
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:52:36 pm

The leftmost information is the H & V resolution of the comp currently highlighted in the project window. Immediately to its right in parentheses is the current size at which you're viewing the comp; you obviously have it set for 50%.

It's a good thing you did your own grab on that. A very good thing indeed, because you can't rely on Adobe to explain it to you in a straightforward manner, and that's a fact. I went to Adobe's Online Help, trying to find a similar image. No luck.

There was a time when EVERY window and pane in AE was outlined in the manual, complete with a description of how the elements in them were used. You looked it up. You studied it at your leisure. It was great.

Now Adobe places heavy reliance on links to third-party sites for the heavy lifting. They look to them for embellishments on what should be basic information for the novice practitioner, and brush-up information for those who don't make constant use of every panel, wingout and switch.

I think it stinks. I think Adobe's taking the lazy man's -- nay, the comatose man's -- way out. I think it's a profound impediment to learning the software, so in my mind it verges on being criminal.

You want people to learn your software faster and easier, Adobe? How about actually putting some thought and effort into creating some images depicting the user interface and how it works? FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, YOU HAD IT TEN STINKIN' YEARS AGO, ADOBE, WHY CAN'T YOU HAVE IT NOW?

It's revolting. Disgusting. Confusing. Infuriating.
And yes, I have submitted a feature request for this obvious shortcoming in AE's Online Help, for all the good it will do.

Okay, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Antony Buonomo
Re: I'm not embarrassed, I'm annoyed! Big time!
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:04:55 pm

Step aside, angry man coming through!

You're right, that's what I remembered and that's exactly what I was looking for too. Well done for submitting that request, thanks on behalf of all of us.

Plus, as in my previous post, it's a (very tiny) bug.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I'm not embarrassed, I'm annoyed! Big time!
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:19:15 pm

[Antony Buonomo] "Well done for submitting that request, thanks on behalf of all of us."

Yeah, well, I'm not going to let YOU off the hook, sir!

I voted for Barack Obama for president in 2008, but that's no explanation why he was elected. However, tens of millions of others also voted for the man: THAT'S why he was elected.

Okay, there was that side issue of the Clueless John McCain living in the White House, plus his far-more-clueless running mate with a voice like fingernails on a chalkboard, Sarah Palin, who thinks the ability to see Russia from her back door in Alaska is an acceptable qualification for formulating foreign policy.

But I digress.

If you don't like the situation, and you think it would be an improvement, then YOU ought to submit the same request! Here's the link:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]