ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

non destructive opainting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Frizzlenon destructive opainting
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:03:45 pm

I have old video footage with dropouts. I'd like to be able to fill in dropouts over a range of frames using a Spot Healing Brush if possible which not only looks to the current frame's picture area surrounding the dropout area, but also references the frame prior and the frame following for movement compensation. I'd like to do so non-destructively if possble.
Failing a Spot Healing Brush, I could live with a Clone Tool.
It would also be nice if AE automated the seqarch for amonalies (drpouts). But that would be dreaming.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: non destructive opainting
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:43:18 pm

you can set opacity to 50% and have it compare adjacent frames in clone tool settings. also, you can use timewarp to create missing frames for you automatically.

Return to posts index

Norman FrizzleRe: non destructive opainting
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:34:54 pm

Thanks, Chris, especially since you offer valuable added information. But I'm still unclear if a healing brush is available to me, how I ensure that what I paint is specific to the frame in question (not cumulative, and thus any individual drpout fill painting will not appeari all subsequent frames), and most especially, if it is non-destructive.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: non destructive opainting
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:52:46 pm

[Norman Frizzle] "...and most especially, if it is non-destructive."

NOTHING in AE is destructive. You render to new files from your AE comps. You don't overwrite existing footage.

A post house with pricey hardware may be the only reliable way to clean up dropout-laden tapesen masse; I wouldn't count on a desktop application for this kind of work.

When I've faced a situation of dropouts on a must-have shot, I work in a 59.94 comp, duplicate the layer as often as necessary, find the dropout, mask around it, and move the duplicated layer one frame (in this case, a field) earlier or later as necessary. When done, I nest it in a 29.97 comp with the appropriate interlacing.

Works every time. It's a pain, but it works every time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved