ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Single line or mask distortion?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon sendall
Single line or mask distortion?
on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:01:00 am

Hi there

Been having some success with various distortions but I would like to try a single line of distortion. So let's say you delineate a line in some way (mask?) and then twenty five frames later you change the line to another shape (all within the bounds of the composition, that's important never leaving the outer edges of the frame) so that line pulls and pushes to whatever degree one chooses. It would be if one took say a bulge plugin and thinned it out into a line, if that makes sense. Can this be done within AE CS5 or do I need a third party plugin. Having no luck so far so if anybody knows how to do this with some description of how it's done I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index

Tony Agliata
Re: Single line or mask distortion?
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:17:29 pm

I am not entirely clear on what you trying to accomplish, but have you tried creating a line shape and adding "wiggle path" or some of the other operators? Perhaps this will get you there?

Tony

Tony Agliata

Return to posts index

jon sendall
on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:05:26 pm

I've never used wiggle path before. Googled it and looked here but didn't find a great deal on my specific problem. I need to create a path which i can put bezier points on and then move that line to another shape that will then distort the footage as it travels. Basically the same math that's used as mesh warp but without the mesh, just a line that can be drawn and then keyframed. The line then pulls or pushes the image according to it's movement.

Thanks for chipping in Tony

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:28:01 pm

You could try Bezier Warp or the Reshape effect as discussed in this tutorial, but I think the Mesh Warp would also do it, it would just require you to keyframe a lot more than you probably want to.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]