ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change the color of one object in a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan DonaldsonChange the color of one object in a video
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 10:04:21 pm

Hello. This is a long question and I hope I can be clear. So I have a video clip of a man walking through a busy area. What I want to do is track the man and change his color only. The whole clip has a purple tint to it only I want the man to be white. I just want to make the man separate from the rest of the video.

In Photoshop, I would duplicate the layer, cut out the man from the rest of the layer and change his color on that layer. I was wondering if their was something to that extent in After Effects?

My professor said to mask one layer and then for each frame, change the mask size to accommodate the character. I also tried the rotobrush but in the confusion of the scene, it can not distinguish my character from his environment.

I hope I was clear on what I am asking. Please help.

Dan D.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Change the color of one object in a video
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 10:37:52 pm

You're on the right track ... what you need to do is called rotoscoping. It means masking frame by frame so be warned that it's always a very tedious and time-consuming process and is even more so with complex images. Rotobrush is a cool new tool to make the process easier, but it's still not a one-click and you're done magic button. Searching COW and the web will return many tutorials on rotoscoping.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Change the color of one object in a video
by on Nov 14, 2010 at 12:41:07 am

Here's a good place to start for rotoscoping information.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved