ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to get a video of This Quality .mp4?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen holmes
How to get a video of This Quality .mp4?
on Nov 12, 2010 at 10:47:43 pm

I am pretty sure this video on http://www.Kajabi.com is an MP4 file because of how fast it streams.

I have made a video in after effects which is very similar but for another project, what I would like to know is what would the best practice be for me, to get the same result in terms of quality and stream speed?

It looks so crisp and perfect, even at such a large screen size.

My AE project composition settings are NTSC DV 720 x 480 and 29.97 fps.

I have AE CS4 and Sony Vegas pro 9.

An additional question I would like is this: if this is the type of video I will be making in the future, what should I change in my AE comp settings to make it perfect, in case it isn't the best settings already?

Thanks
Steve

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to get a video of This Quality .mp4?
on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:12:10 pm

if the destination is streaming on the web, you should probably work with a square pixel comp, like 640x480, or 720x540 (or the newish adobe square px equivalents for sd, which i haven't memorized yet).

then render at as high of quality as possible, like uncompressed or lossless animation. take that huge file to a compression utility, like adobe's media encoder, or mpeg-streamclip (it's free and multiplatform), or similar to make a mp4. essentially any compressor that can do a multipass encode for mp4 should do a good job.

with mpeg-streamclip, i would just import the lossless file, and choose file>export>mp4. choose h.264 for the compressor, aac for audio, set the quality as desired (try the highest and see where that gets you, or if you have a target bandwidth, enter that). and enable the options for multipass and b-frames.

you might also inquire on in the compression forum....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

stephen holmes
on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:21:14 pm

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

As it was rendering from AE, I thought I should ask here.

Next time I will make sure my comp is as you suggested, then I will get the best quality right? Do you think the creator of the Kajabi video would have used the same settings, even for a video that large dimensionally?

What I'm asking is, would I keep the quality even if I scaled the video up to the same size?

Sorry for being a pain, just want to get it right without any hiccups and your help is invaluable.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 15, 2010 at 4:58:52 pm

[stephen holmes] "What I'm asking is, would I keep the quality even if I scaled the video up to the same size?"

if the elements in your comp are raster (video footage, raster images, jpegs, tiffs, etc) and they are at 100% scale in your comp, then scaling them up will degrade the image quality... as scaling a 100x100 image up to 200x200 would in photoshop...

however if the elements in the comp are all created in ae as masks, shapes or text, or are vector art and the 'continuous rasterization' option is enabled for those layers, then you could take your current comp, drop it into a new, larger comp, scale it up to fit the new frame size and not lose any image quality.

you'd then render that larger comp to lossless animation (or other high quality codec) and take that render to a compression utility for h.264 compression, and you should get good results.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]