ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to inprove Ram usage %age when outputting in AEcs4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Navarrohow to inprove Ram usage %age when outputting in AEcs4
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:29:32 pm

Hi there,
i'm curious to know.. i've been outputting my AE compositions without a problem thus far. i believe to be using my best possible render settings, multiprocessing, CPU allocation etc and have my renders going out at a steady 3frames per minute or so.

however, when i see my rendering status; on my render window i notice that AE says its only using 14% out of the 4GB of ram i have allocated.

is this normal? i keep wondering if i can make AE use a higher percentage of my allocated ram therefore giving a lot faster outputs, or is it that the other 86% is already being used but just not for my output?

thanks
any info is appreciated
Os

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: how to inprove Ram usage %age when outputting in AEcs4
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:40:24 pm

It's difficult to give you an answer. We don't know anything about your computer, its processors, RAM, graphics /video card, operating system, hard drives, or your version of AE. These are all factors.

If you give us more information, we can give you better answers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: how to inprove Ram usage %age when outputting in AEcs4
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:08:58 pm

also, the 'using xx% of xxGB' isn't a very good indicator of performance or proper settings... it's just telling you that for that specific comp, at that specific time, ae is only using xx% of available ram... not that it is limited to that amount. if ae needs more ram it will take it).

to gauge performance open task manager (win) or activity monitor (osx) or a similar processor monitoring app. if you are getting a high level of processor activity when rendering, then your settings are good. if the processing level seem low, then you may have a data bottleneck somewhere, which is usually either not enough ram, or the drive or drive data bus is too slow or being overly taxed (too much data going through too small of pipes).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael RobertsRe: how to inprove Ram usage %age when outputting in AEcs4
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 9:42:42 pm

Kevin ... I see you have After Effects to a science!!!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: how to inprove Ram usage %age when outputting in AEcs4
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 9:59:51 pm

:-)

yep, i can take ae geekiness to a pretty high level... though there are some that are even geekier -- you know who you are....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]