ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Not your typical missing frame question...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ AndersonNot your typical missing frame question...
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:19:05 pm

Hi... my first post here, but I have been wandering around for a while as I learn AE. I have run into a question that I haven't seen answered.

I am using AE to comp a 3DS Max rendering I am doing (rendering it in parts as client wants various versions). I don't need to render every frame of a some of the parts because they are hidden or not in frame so I don't want to waste the time generating the sequential stills. When I import into AE it says the usual missing frames, and then fills it with the "bars and missing file name" image... which is awesome to help find out which frames were corrupt in the rendering, but when I want a sequence that has gaps it's kind of annoying.

My solution so far has been to keyframe transparency for the element... but I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the "bars with missing file name" image when I go to render it, yet render the frames that exist. Maybe there's a simple button, but I can't find it. :(. I am sure I can also add a blank png to the set but that could be hundreds of blank files just hanging out.

Thanks for your help... and for all the other amazing information I have used from here.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Not your typical missing frame question...
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:36:30 pm

Before you import the partial sequences, you should place each partial sequence into its own folder. Prepping your partial sequences in this manner will prevent AE from reporting missing files in the image sequence.

You then import each partial sequence as a standalone image sequence file in AE. If you set AEs timeline display to frames (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+K) and you named your image sequence files with frame suffixes then it will be quite easy to place your files onto the timline at their respective start points.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Not your typical missing frame question...
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 8:40:23 pm

Why not just render an entire sequence of black/empty/dummy frames with the same naming convention that your Max sequence has? You could then copy your rendered max frames into that folder overwriting the black frames. As you work in max, you can render into this folder gradually overwriting the rest of your dummy frames.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved