ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cropped Nested Comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared MohneyCropped Nested Comps
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:09:30 pm

Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have pre-composed a series of animated layers which come flying inward from the outside of the screen. I then scaled this composition and turned it in 3d space, only to find that the outside areas of the original layers are now cropped off.

I basically nested the animated files for easier 3d manipulation but now that I have, I cannot see them flying inward, only once they've reached the viewing area on the original comp.

Is there a way to fix this?

Example: Let's say I have 4 letters flying to the center of the screen to write the word "love", I then precompose these animations and scale it down, now I see cropping of the letters and clearly see where the nested comp size ends. How do I go about making it so I can see what was going on outside the nested comps viewing area when scaled down in the main comp?

Hopefully, this makes sense...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cropped Nested Comps
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:20:11 pm

To do what you want to accomplish, the layers in the nested comps must be 3D, and in the main comp you need to turn on the Collapse Transformations / Continuously Rasterize switch. It looks like an asterisk or a little sun with rays emanating from it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Cropped Nested Comps
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:20:47 pm

"Long time lurker, first time poster."

Haha. I like that.

Anyway, it sounds like you just need to either turn on the "collapse transformations" switch for the nested comp, or if that interferes with the animation you are trying to do with the nested comp, then just make dimensions of the nested composition as large as required so you don't see the clipping you are describing.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Cropped Nested Comps
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:21:26 pm

Try switching on Collapse Transformation for the nested comp.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jared MohneyRe: Cropped Nested Comps
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:35:17 pm

Thanks guys! Works like a champ!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved