ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE > Export 10-bit Uncompressed Quicktime?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Wienk
AE > Export 10-bit Uncompressed Quicktime?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 11:55:26 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to export an animated commercial from After Effects (CS4), which needs to be a 10-bit Quicktime in the PAL 16:9 format. I'm on a Windows 7 machine, though I usually work on a Mac (which I don't have access to at the moment).

I need this file so I can upload it to a company that will then convert it for me into a MXF D10-30 format, for European broadcast. I have worked with them once before, and I think I must have given them an 8-bit file, though they never asked me about it and the spot looked fine on tv.

I want to get it right this time, though. The animation was done in AE 16-bit. In the export settings in the Render Que, I can't find any way of exporting to a 10-bit uncompressed quicktime though!

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Rob

(I've searched through the creativecow forum, but couldn't find a conclusive answer. I've read some things about the blackmagic codec, but that's no use to me as I work on a windows pc, and don't have access to a Mac atm.)

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: AE > Export 10-bit Uncompressed Quicktime?
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:09:53 am

You should see them as options in the codec list so it's probably just that there aren't 10-bit codecs installed on that machine. I work on both platforms regularly so I've downloaded free 10-bit uncompressed codecs from BlackMagic, AJA, Avid and others I don't recall at the moment ... just search their websites. Of course you'll have to close and reopen Ae for them to show up once you've installed them.

Return to posts index

Rob Wienk
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:22:19 pm

Hi David & Dave.

Thank you both for your replies. In the end I contacted the company and asked them if I could send it to them in a different format. I was able to render it out of AE with a 10 bit YUV 422 uncompressed AVI, which was fine with them.

@David: I did look on the website of BlackMagic, but couldn't find any codecs? It seems like they only have installation files that complement their hardware products.
After your reply, I also checked the AJA website, which came down to the same problem as I had with the BlackMagic website. On the Avid website I did find some codecs which I installed, and had then access to via QuickTime, but none of them seem to be specific 10-bit uncompressed codecs (the following codecs are listed: "1x1:", "DNxHD Codec", "DV Codec", "DV100 Codec", "Meridien compressed", "Merodien uncompressed" & "Packed Codec").

@Dave: I do have QuickTime Pro 7.6.8 installed, and that's also why I was surprised to find everyone talking about this codec, yet I don't seem to have it! Maybe it's simply that I'm not on a Mac? And/or maybe that codec, as well as Apple Pro Res, only come with FCP? I don't know.
I've checked the Apple QuickTime website, and they have a few (links to) codecs on there, but not the Apple 10-bit one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:54:10 pm

I just installed QT 7.6.8 on my Windows machine at home. I haven't yet tried to render in many codecs, so it could very well be that some codecs would be read-only, such as ProRes 422; Apple 10-bit Uncompressed may be among these, but I can't say for sure -- I haven't played with it yet.

In any case, it sounds like you got things sorted out, which is good.

Personally, I like to render either in the codec that will be used next, or a lossless/uncompressed (aka intermediate) codec in order to preserve image quality. Sometimes this may take the form of an image sequence. The files are stupefyingly big, but nothing is lost.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Nov 13, 2010 at 10:07:18 pm

I'm glad you got it worked out.

I didn't mean to suggest randomly installing all codecs to find a 10-bit one ... installing more codecs than needed unnecessarily introduces conflict risks. I don't recall off-hand which Avid codecs are 10-bit ... DV isn't and DNxHD might be. However, there's really no reason to use Avid codecs unless working on an Avid system or passing an edit to someone who is (the latter is the only reason I have Avid codecs). The same applies to AJA and BlackMagic codecs so it depends on your system and that of others you share media with. As Dave said, render in the codec that'll be used next.

I'm certain I've downloaded free codecs from each of those companies, but it has been quite I while since I needed additional codecs so perhaps they've made them even harder to find than I recall, which is unfortunately very common. I render 10-bit MOVs from AE on any of my Windows machines using either AJA or BM codecs ... just a matter of finding and installing them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:09:18 am

Do you have QT 7.6.8 installed on your machine? If so, you should certainly be able to find the Apple 10-Bit Uncompressed codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]