ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making camera not see 3D layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robyn Rhodes
Making camera not see 3D layers
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:37:34 pm

Hi is there a way to force the AE camera to see certain 3D layers while not seeing others? I realize I could precomp the 3D layers I don't want the camera to see. But all my expressions get muffed if I do that. I thought maybe there was an adjustment layer trick or something.

thanks,

r

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Making camera not see 3D layers
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:48:06 pm

could you just hide the layers (click the eyeball)...? or set the opacities to zero?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Robyn Rhodes
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:30:33 pm

I didn't explain well. I have some layers moving in 3D space which I don't want the camera to see. And other I do want the camera to see. The ones I don't want the camera to see still need to be visible.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:43:34 pm

You move them further back in z-space so the other ones move in front of them; I guess that's what you mean by your "visible but unseen" description.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:30:20 pm

How 'bout if you animate the opacity of the layers in question using Hold Keyframes? On the keyframe where the opacity is zero, the layer just disappears... and you use another hold keframe to turn it badk on again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Robyn Rhodes
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:43:33 pm

I need all the 3D layers to be visible. I just need certain 3D layers to not been seen by the comp camera.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:50:09 pm

when you are saying 'seen by the comp camera' do you mean they don't react to the comp camera?

if so, then precomping may be the way to go (or make them 2d, but i'd imagine that's not an option).

if those layers are needed in the main comp due ot the expressions, just duplicate those layers and move them to a new precomp, then hide the original layers.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:22:38 am

[Robyn Rhodes] "I need all the 3D layers to be visible. I just need certain 3D layers to not been seen by the comp camera.
"

I take that to mean the following:
"I need every 3D layer in the comp to have the POTENTIAL to be seen by the comp camera. However, at certain points, as the camera or the layers move, certain layers will not be in the comp camera's field of view, or they will be partially or completely obscured or completely by other layers in the foreground."

Is this an accurate statement of what you're trying to accomplish?

If not, can you provide a more accurate description?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:30:33 pm

lol! This is like playing Pictionary but without the drawings.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:00:45 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "This is like playing Pictionary but without the drawings."

I hear you -- it's a real pain.

However, in fairness to the OP, I'm sure we've both met talented graphic designers who simply do not possess the ability to describe an image in words -- they have to show it to you.
Lacking an appropriate image, effective communication comes to a screeching halt.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:28:21 pm

I hear you Dave. I wasn't intending anything negative - I was just humored by the situation.

I think Robyn needs to calm down and explain what he/she in the comp has and exactly what is meant by "The ones I don't want the camera to see still need to be visible."

Robyn, the camera cannot see something that is invisible. If the camera sees something then it is visible. A layer is only visible if the camera sees it, ie it is in the view of the camera.

What are you trying to do to the layers that you don't want to be seen. Also let us know why you don't want these layers to be seen by the camera.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 16, 2010 at 8:53:05 pm

Do you mean besides changing the opacity to 0?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Robyn Rhodes
on Nov 16, 2010 at 9:04:27 pm

I'm am a fortress of calmness, for anyone who wonders.

Let me take another stab at it.

say you have two 3D layers and a camera...

is there a way to have one layer change perspective when moving the camera, and have the other layer not change perspective when moving the camera. In other words the comp camera only sees the first layer.

Hopefully this gets us a little closer.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 17, 2010 at 1:53:35 pm

You can precompose the layer you don't want to respond to the camera move or you can use the the obsolete Basic 3d effect on a 2d layer, to give it the appearance of 3d.

Out of curiousity, why would you want to do this?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Robyn Rhodes
on Nov 17, 2010 at 3:13:25 pm

The 3D layers that I "don't want seen by the camera" are linked via expresssions and when I pre-comped them all the expressions got all janky. I think it would super useful if Adobe added this functionality somehow, i.e. put a adjustment layer in between the camera and layers you don't want to change perspective when moving the camera, but you still want to be able to animate using the 3D layers parameters.

thank you,

r

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 18, 2010 at 5:42:13 pm

I'm not sure that sort of feature would be possible. How would the program know what sort of perspective to put on the picture if it weren't responding to the camera?
But, because some people want that sort of functionality, AE kept the obsolete 3d effect I linked to earlier. It provides that sort of functionality.

You'll either have to use that effect or fix your expressions. Expressions in a precomp can reference other compositions including the one the precomp is sitting in, so you shouldn't have too much trouble redoing them.

I still don't understand why you'd want some layers to look 3d, but sit still when the camera moves.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Robyn Rhodes
on Nov 18, 2010 at 5:57:44 pm

thanks Michael.

Well the reason is that I have a whole bunch of 3D layers characters shuffle into frame from behind the camera. I have titles above the crowd which I am transitioning to using Sure Target 2.0 from VCP. So during those Sure Target moves, I want the characters to stay in place. And animating the characters on screen would be a lot more work using Basic 3D than using 3D layers.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:45:12 pm

You could try to precompose the titles, camera, and any nulls that are involved. That way your characters with the expressions don't break.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]