Quick question about alt+dragging to duplicate keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christian kimQuick question about alt+dragging to duplicate keyframes
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 10:01:31 pm

Good morning everyone!

had a real quick question.

i am on adobe after effects cs5.
i am aware that in after effects (and most of adobe products), when you alt+drag an item, it duplicates the item.
and i read that it can be done in after effects.

however, for some weird reason, it does not do that on my after effects.

if one keyframe is selected, it will just move them.
if multiple keyframe is selected, hold ALT while draggin will "redistribute" those keyframe (which was the behaviour i am used to).

wonder if it is cs5 change that i am not aware of?
basically if someone can show me how to drag duplicate keyframes (multiple) that would be awsome!

thank you again!

Return to posts index

Robyn RhodesRe: Quick question about alt+dragging to duplicate keyframes
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:05:29 pm

I remember this being a feature way back in AE 4.0/5.0 and then it seems to have disappeared. It was an awesome feature which saved so much time, and it didn't care about proper parameters. Hopefully I didn't dream this up.

Yeah so how do you do it?

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

christian kimRe: Quick question about alt+dragging to duplicate keyframes
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:09:37 pm

thank you for your reply Robyn.
its good to know that its not just me.

so your default behaviour when draggin+ALT is ..
either nothing (single keyframe)
redistribute (multiple keyframe)
?

knowing adobe, very unlikely they have discarded the function, but just tweaked it so its available with different combination perhaps?

however, i have tried all combination i can think of using CTR, SHIFT, ALT, but no luck.

so currently, i just ended up doing manually just to meet the deadline, as in copy single keyframe, move them etc etc.

funny thing is i read on recent forum about this..

thank you in advance to anybody who can help us out.

Return to posts index

Frank FeijenRe: Quick question about alt+dragging to duplicate keyframes
by on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:07:23 pm

I'm curious: in which way this behaviour is any different than selecting all needed keframes-copying-pasting?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2010 at 1:40:52 am

well,there would be lot of useful situations, and i think it definitely functions different to copy+paste (not just quicker, but does different things). for example..

say i have three comp, which is staggered like below

for sake of simplicity, i would want to use time remap to basically hold from 40 for say 30 frames. resulting keyframe would look like below

however, if i were to [copy] the last 3 keyframes and paste, rather then doing what i want it to do, create 3 staggered new keyframes like above, but does below,

copies the three objects and pastes, not the keyframe.

however, my understanding is, if you were to selecte those 3 keyframs from first screenshot, and alt+drag to the right, they should create a duplicate of the selected keyframe, maintaining their offsets between each other, and be moved to position where i let my mouse drag go.

however, currently, what seems to happen is that it just redistributes the keyframe relative to each other (as in does not duplicate, but just rearranges selected keyframe)

this is very useful in it self, but read somewhere that ALT+drag is suppose to duplicate keyframe, and was wondering if it is cs5 chage? or there is different key combination etc etc.

Return to posts index

Oskar ZiembaRe: Quick question about alt+dragging to duplicate keyframes
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:54:49 pm

"this is very useful in it self, but read somewhere that ALT+drag is suppose to duplicate keyframe, and was wondering if it is cs5 chage? or there is different key combination etc etc."

Hello,

it is actually not specific for CS 5, i work with CS 4 and i have the same problem. Since i was looking into a solution, i found your article.

If i find any solution, i'll let you know.

Bye Oskar

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:24:54 pm

Hi Oskar, thank you for your input!

would really appreciate if you could share some info when you do find some solution or answer to this problem.

I am sure the function has just been modified to different combination of keys, as its very unusual for adobe to discard a function (specially such a handy one).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]