ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Premultiplied Preference won't stick

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Smyrk
Premultiplied Preference won't stick
on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:28:40 pm

Just got CS5 today and still have this problem: I go to "Preferences/Import/Interpret Unlabeled Alpha As:" and from the drop-down select "Premultiplied (Matted With Black). Still, the next time I launch AE and import footage, it comes in not premultiplied. What am I missing here? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Premultiplied Preference won't stick
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:24:59 pm

if you go back to the preference, is the setting still set as premultiplied?

if so, then the problem may be that the footage has a 'labeled alpha' that is incorrect. since ae sees it as labeled, the preference setting isn't being used.

you can override any alpha interpretation in the interpret footage settings. select the footage and choose file>interpret footage>main and correct the alpha settings.

once you've done that once, you can choose file>interpret footage>remember interpretation, then choose all other files that should have the same interpretation and choose file>interpret footage>apply interpretation.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave Smyrk
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:53:13 pm

Kevin, Thanks for the response. I always knew I could change it manually, but I DID NOT know about the "remember" and "apply" settings. (It's funny how you can just not see something that's been there for years). My files are just PNGs rendered out of 3ds Max,and even during the current AE session, while the Preference is still set to Premultipled, they come in as "straight", so maybe they do contain some sort of "labeled alpha". I've been having to manually change each piece of footage after importing, so knowing "remember" and "apply" will help. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 10, 2010 at 10:16:48 pm

normally i would think that pngs would be straight, so i could see ae having some issue with that.

you may be able to override that behavior by modifying the 'interpretation rules' file the ae directory/folder. i've never looked for a png interpretation to see if there are rules there already, but you could try adding this to the bottom of the file:

*, *, *, ".PNG", * = * ,* ,* , P, *, *

note: first make a copy of the rules file, so if you need to, you can easily revert back to the original file.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]