ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can't relink to gfx cuz of bad Qt ref movies?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
can't relink to gfx cuz of bad Qt ref movies?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 7:10:43 pm

I had this problem last year (and I've see Cow posts about it). Workarounds welcome even if it means purging all Qt moovs. But without a "Find All" (.mov) function, not easily done.

I'm trying to review a AE8 Mac project I inherited that would appear to involve a a bunch of Quicktime (reference movies) dependences with broken links or missing master files.

I could get to a good place if only I could link to the static media (jpegs etc) but the Quicktime confusion seems to defeat most all linking. Example- double clicking on a missing jpeg and navigate to the folder it is in... AE thinks about it but even that relink will be thwarted by the problem Qt's. Error msgs follow

Any work-around or suggestions on linking to the image assets? Unless I'm missing something it's hard to believe a project can be so easily crippled at this late date. (AE9!)

Thanks,

Paul

* AE error msgs Searching for movie data.... & "The movie file cannot be found..."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: can't relink to graphics because of bad Qt reference movies?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:07:09 pm

Here's one that isn't very elegant, but will work:
  • Open AE project in question. Let it roll through the all the error messages.
  • Make a SOLID that's the same H&V resolution and PAR as the missing video.
  • Open a comp, note the name of the first missing video layer if necessary. Use the replace footage command to replace the video with the solid. Add a comment to the solid if you need to remember the name of the clip. All the keyframes, masking, in & out points, effects etc. are now with the solid.
  • Repeat the process until you've replaced all the video.
  • Remove the bad video clips from the project window.
  • Save the project using a different name.

Now you can open up the project and replace the missing stills.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 10, 2010 at 10:06:06 pm

if you have many locations in the project for the same video, you could create solids with the name of the original footage, then run my replace script.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/50/857857#857857

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:23:50 pm

Thanks Chris & Dave,

It would appear that there are several dozen Qt's with dependencies that involve (to find them) opening the proj, AE looks for and can't find movie data, gives up saying it can't link 200 files. Then you try to manually relink to a gfx file, AE then reports on another Qt with missing data, repeat process several dozen times just to determine the problem movs that need (solid) replacing. No fault of yours but it just seems crazy.

As to the replace script, not sure how that is an improvement on control-clicking the problem moov (discovered one at a time via the above torturous process) and saying "replace with solid"

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:34:52 pm

Well, if you don't need the quicktimes -- just the still graphics -- you can simply delete all the quicktimes But if you DO need them....

You CAN open the project.
You CAN let AE run through the litany of error messages with great patience.
You CAN then replace the video clips in the comps with solids, even though there are hundreds of them.
You CAN then delete all the video clips in the project window.
And all those QT error messages go away, making it much easier to re-link to the still graphics.

Somebody made a fundamental mistake on the footage used in the project, and you're left to pick up the pieces as best as you can. Nobody said this was going to be fast 'n easy or fun.

I bet you go with self-contained quicktimes from now on.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:01:23 pm

Dave that felt like a dressing down, I'd like to keep it cordial. I think have some perspective on it from using AE since COSA v2 and doing visual efx with 2" tape since 1976. I guess I'm lobbying/seeking for a better way as we're on AE9.

Again I did not make this mess, I inherited it.

-P

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:06:21 pm

Well, I'll join your lobby. It would be nice to have a "Suspend AE Error Mesages" command if you know you're in too deep.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:30:12 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Well, if you don't need the quicktimes -- just the still graphics -- you can simply delete all the quicktimes"

What about moving the QT files elsewhere on the filesystem so that After Effects doesn't know where to find them? When AE opens up, you'll get a missing footage error, but then you should be able to replace the movies with stills in the project panel.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:31:17 pm

I'm with Walter on this except that even moving the QTs to a new location won't be of much help. As soon as you try to manually link a single QT within the new folder, AE will automatically try to relink to all the other QTs.

I suggest that you rename all the QTs with a prefix. This will prevent AE from automatically committing a relink routine.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 16, 2010 at 11:58:49 am

By renaming the Qt's do you find AE skips them and relinks to what is left, like the non-Qt files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]