ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1.46 Pixel Aspect Ratio not playing full screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Minnaar1.46 Pixel Aspect Ratio not playing full screen
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 2:23:28 pm

Hi all.

I have used the old PAR settings of 1.42(AE 6.5) for a long time, with great success, but now have problems with CS5.

My comps are normally set at 1024 X 768 4:3 1.42 (now 1.46) PAR and played to widescreen TV's through media players (VLC or WMP).

Picture of project without PAR

Picture of project with PAR set to 1.42 in AE

The screen res on the player machines is set to 1024 X 768 and plays the videos at full screen, perfectly, no distortion with the old AE 6.5 settings.

Now for my problem.

I know CS5 has changed the PAR to 1.46, which is fine, but my renders do not play at full screen, they are letterboxed and distorted.

In VLC for for instance, I can right click on the video, drop down to screen resolutions and click on 4:3, then the video plays at full screen.

How can I get the video to default to full screen like that without having to right click on the video to set it like that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 1.46 Pixel Aspect Ratio not playing full screen
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 4:56:33 pm

There's a lot to wade through in the following article, but the bottom line is this: the new PARs, introduced in AE 9, are applicable to camera footage. You still ought to be able to work as you've always worked.

I haven't looked it up yet, but I think you can create your own comp presets in AE 10.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved