ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

flickering line animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Poniedzielskiflickering line animation
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:55:22 am

Hi!

I'm posting this both in PSD and AE forums - because I presume that solution could be hidden in those two softwares.

So this is what I have created with PSD and AE:

Camera Obscura 2005 from Michal Poniedzielski on Vimeo.

and the question is:

how to simplify process od creation those quasi animated flickering lines in not moving objects ("living" outlines, so to speak).

I usually use PSD to create three layers - each drawn from scratch - and loop them in AE. But when it comes to more complex objects (like in my actual project when I have to DRAW three loop stages for 28 seriff letters!!) it would be good to use some filter. I would like to draw one drawing, and aply a filter on it, to create second, and than third (or even more if it's AE) loop stage. This filter should distort the line a bit, so it could flicker.

I've tried some of distortion filters included in PSD, but those lacks RANDOMNESS - it's allways the same pattern of distortion.

So do you have some clues? My soul would be 10 years younger if I could use such a miracle filter :) OR maybe it's not a filter? A method?

Thanks in advance, Micz

http://www.vimeo.com/micz

LAPTOP: Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E: Intel Core i7 (1.6 GHz) | 6GB RAM | GeForce GT 330M | Win7 x64 Home |
DESKTOP: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | Asus P5B Deluxe | 4GB RAM | GeForce7200 | Windows XP Pro SP3

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: flickering line animation (boiling)
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 10:40:41 am

Micz,

First of all, this animation looks great! If I were to try to replicate the effect (which I believe is called 'boiling'), I would use the roughen edges effect. Apply different settings, then perhaps loop the 3 frames as you have been doing. Don't know if it will look as good as the real thing, though!

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Michal PoniedzielskiRe: flickering line animation (boiling)
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:40:25 pm

Simon, thanks a lot for a good word on my stuff :)

And thanks very much for additional info on naming problem - now I have much more options on searching, when I know it's boiling rather, than flickering. This "thing" is very google-unfriendly, so to speak, so it's good to know the right name. For those who are still in doubt, here is an explanation I've found on http://www.encyclo.co.uk:

"boiling"
this is the shimmering effect in hand drawn animation where lines are copied over and over in a sequence of drawings. Originally due just to the mechanics of trying and failing to copy lines exactly by hand, it is sometimes introduced deliberately as a stylistic feature in computer generated animation - random fluctuations in line quality may make the animation look hand drawn

And about the roughen edges filter - thanks for a hint, but.... I have PSD in polish language version :/ so I will spend some time on searching the thing under polish names. But surely I will give a notice when I try it. Thanks

http://www.vimeo.com/micz

LAPTOP: Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E: Intel Core i7 (1.6 GHz) | 6GB RAM | GeForce GT 330M | Win7 x64 Home |
DESKTOP: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | Asus P5B Deluxe | 4GB RAM | GeForce7200 | Windows XP Pro SP3

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: flickering line animation (boiling)
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 2:27:57 pm

Micz,

Roughen Edges is an After Effects effect (I am not a PS guy, so maybe it is in there too).

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: flickering line animation
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 10:07:23 pm

[Michal Poniedzielski] "I've tried some of distortion filters included in PSD, but those lacks RANDOMNESS - it's allways the same pattern of distortion."

The Turbulent displace effect might help you get the look you're going for with a bit of tweaking. I'd try it in conjunction with Posterize time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michał PoniedzielskiRe: flickering line animation
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 2:07:04 am

Thanks Walter - I will try Turbulent displace & posterize time in AE.

But for those who are willing to achieve this in PS, I recommend Filter Forge 3.0 Plugins (http://www.filterforge.com). In the package You will find a filters named "Bad Trip" and "Noise Distortion" (both by Vladimir Golovin). Those should help to do the trick, because both of them creates unique patterns based on variations. So You can achieve the very needed "randomness" in distortion, which I personaly could have not find in basic PS filters (by my experience every basic filter has the same flaw of creating patterns based on the image itself).

Hope that it could help someone. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]