ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

footage green/pixelated

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kecskesfootage green/pixelated
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:59:43 pm

AE is doing something weird to my footage. Help.

It plays fine in the Finder or in QT, etc. But when I bring it into AE is pixelizes it and turns it weirdly green (see youtube link).

All I did was import the footage, drag it to the make comp icon and this is what happens. Tried restarting, all programs are up to date.

CS5, Apple 10.6.4. 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:45:32 pm

What kid of footage is this? What's the codec? What kind of camera shot it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James KecskesRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:53:31 pm

The footage was shot with a SONY PMW-350. Codec: XDCAM HD 1080p30 (35 Mb/s VBR). Weird - we worked with this footage before and it was fine - can't think of what changed.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:01:45 pm

If you're running anything OTHER than AE 10 (aka CS5), I think the Law Of Averages just caught up with you. The footage from that camera is in a long-gop codec, which just freaks out every AE version before AE 10.

The fix: transcode it to a lossless or uncompressed codec... and obviously, don't use AE to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:03:40 pm

AE CS5, VERSION 10.0.1.19

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:06:44 pm

Another weird example, longer

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:10:43 am

Does this footage work in any other application? If yes, then please send a sample clip that shows the problem to aebugs -at- adobe -dot- com. Include as much detail in your bug report as possible.

If, however, this footage doesn't play back correctly in another application, then the problem is with the footage itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kylee PeñaRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 2:01:47 pm

That's funny, I had the same kind of footage to work with in FCP (XDCAM 35mbps) and it did the exact same thing in there when I was checking out the footage. I transcoded to ProRes and it obviously went away.

Of course, that probably doesn't really help you much. I've just not seen anyone post about the footage doing the exact same weird green blocky stuff (and nobody replied to my original post about it).

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:21:38 pm

If anyone else wants to test the footage and see, you can download a clip here: fileden [dot] com/files/2010/11/9/3012010//Russo2.mov

Return to posts index

Rafael TerpinsRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 11:07:32 am

I'm having the same problem with a project that was working fine on AE 10.0.0. After the upgrade to 10.0.1.19 it messed up with the green pixelated thingy. I you try to downgrade the program this afternoon to try to save my due date. It smells like an adobe bug!

Return to posts index

Steve EdwardsRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 12:03:47 am

I'm having exactly the same problem. Plays fine in every other application but once imported into AE does this weird green pixelation thing. Have worked around it by export it differently from FCP but not really ideal in the long term. Has anyone got a fix?

AE 10.0.1.19

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Feb 1, 2011 at 12:24:44 am

See if the solution suggested in this thread helps:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3434600#3434600

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Matt DavisRe: footage green/pixelated
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:58:48 pm

I had the same problem.

I shoot on a Sony PMW-350w, which records in MPEG onto a flash card. Those files need to be "rewrapped" in Quicktime to be used in FinalCut Pro.

So I found on some projects that the clips I was bringing from my FCP project into After Effects had this green/pixelated effect. The wierdest thing about it was that sometimes the clips would be fine and sometimes they wouldn't. But usually once they went green they never went back to normal. I'd even exported a project from AE that was fine, then had to make a change to something and when I went back into it, the greenage happened.

I'd found out that it had something to do with the MPEG encoding and it's interesting to read some more of the details here now about what causes it.

My work around was instead of editing the clips in FCP in their native MPEG format, I brought them into a ProRes 422HQ timeline and then when I exported the chunks I needed to work on in After Effects they weren't MPEG based anymore. It meant a bit more render time in FCP at the start of a project, but it got me past the green problem.

But that solution might not be for everyone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]