ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jerky bird animation in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sumeet khurana
Jerky bird animation in AE
on Nov 7, 2010 at 10:40:48 pm

Hi! I am animating a flying bird in AE CS3. In order to animate the bird's wings( which I designed in photoshop in two different layers in a single psd. file and then imported in AE and then turned them as 3D layers in AE), I gave the following values to the

X rotation of right wing:-78.9,-62.0,-37.0,-62.0 at Ist,IInd,IIIrd & Ivth key respectively.
x rotation of left wing:+100,+76,+66,+76 at Ist,IInd,IIIrd & Ivth key respectively.

Then I put expression on "X rotation" of both wings by"alt" pressing and then hitting
Property> loopout(type"cycle",numKeyframes=0).

After that I gave "easy ease" command to both Ist and Ivth keys of both wings but then also when I make my bird fly the wings give jerky animation.

If somebody could suggest a solution to my jerky animation problem , I would be very thankful.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
Re: Jerky bird animation in AE
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:26:38 pm

Sumeet,

Sounds like you are experiencing a boomerang effect. You might want to check out Aharon Rabinowitz's tutorials on boomerang here and here.

The problem is with the easy ease. Because the wings are flapping quickly, they ease in and out of the flap slowly but move too quickly in the middle. If you select the rotation property and then hit the 'graphs' switch, you should see that the change in the rotation property is too small right around the keyframes, and too big elsewhere. Grab the handles and move them closer to the keyframes to create smoother curves, and you should have something that looks better. Good luck!

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

sumeet khurana
on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:36:37 am

Thank you Simon Bonner for the kind gesture.But I still cant figure out whats going wrong in my technique.I tried the tricks suggested by you but still cant get rid of the jerk that comes after the IVth key.Thanks a lot friend for your help and valuable time.I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Nov 9, 2010 at 10:43:21 am

Did you take a look at the curves? Maybe you could do a screengrab and post a picture of the curves?

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

sumeet khurana
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:38:13 pm

Hi Simon Bonner. How are you! Thanks a lot for your time. I have attached a screen grab of graph editor of my file. Hope you find the solution for this jerky animation.
Regards,
Sumeet.

Return to posts index

sumeet khurana
on Nov 12, 2010 at 1:34:20 am

Return to posts index

sumeet khurana
on Nov 21, 2010 at 6:46:51 am

I removed the expression and manually copy pasted the keys , and I got rid of the jerk in my animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]