ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Masking Assistance- After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen HellerMasking Assistance- After Effects
by on Nov 7, 2010 at 3:51:27 pm

Hi Guys.

So I've been making short films and the like for a while now, so it is rather surprising that tonight is my first attempt at using After Effets.

My aim is to teleport a character out of a shot. I have two snippets of footage. One is a clean plate of the scene, the other is the actor doing a small motion as he teleports out.

So as far as I know I need to use the pen tool to create a mask around my actor, and then hit the mask shape keyframe. I have done that, then move to the next frame and adjust the mask and hit the shape keyframe again.

What happens is after I hit the shape keyframe the first time the mask seems to be locked. I can't manipulate it like I could BEFORE I hit the first keyframe. When holding V and using the pen tool I can drag the vector points to change the shape fine. After I hit the keyframe is just skewers the vectors as if create a curve and I can't manipulate the shape.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Masking Assistance- After Effects
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:03:39 pm

What you are trying to do with your mask is called rotoscoping and there are tons of good resources for it here that should make your work go much faster.

I believe the issue you're describing has to do with how you're working with the mask. Try clicking on the mask feather properties to deselect the mask points while you're working with it. If that's not it, try looking at some of the video tutorials that are linked from that page I linked earlier. They should help.

Also, as someone new to AE, I would highly suggest you start here. AE is not a program that you can just pick up by fiddling with it. You have to get a good foundation in the basics or you'll end up frustrated.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved