ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masks/paths/strokes from Illustrator to AE- overlap problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will AllenMasks/paths/strokes from Illustrator to AE- overlap problem
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 9:49:08 pm

Hi.

I am doing animations where I draw a picture in Illustrator and then copy the paths and paste them into AE CS5. They become masks in AE and then I use the masks to generate a stroke so that I can animate the pictures drawing into the frame.

The problem is that where the masks overlap in AE they are transparent. I have tried every single mode for the masks and the layer but I can't get rid of those annoying little corners where they overlap. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I even thought maybe if I just reverse the order of all the masks in the layer that might work but I can't even seem to figure out how to reverse the stacking order of masks. (there are like 150 "masks"/strokes in each image so I can't do it by hand.)

Here is a screenshot of an example of what I'm talking about. Notice the overlap of the stroke around the ears and in the eyes. In the original Illustrator image that's filled in.

screenshot2010-11-06at2.40.27pm.png

Thanks...I figure there is a simple solution to this...but I can't seem to find anything that addresses my problem here or anywhere else on the web. Thanks again in advance.

Will

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Masks/paths/strokes from Illustrator to AE- overlap problem
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:10:38 pm

you need to close paths in illustrator. the vertex has to be connected for masks to work correctly. and yes, it's a pain. it looks like a oval arrow.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Will AllenRe: Masks/paths/strokes from Illustrator to AE- overlap problem
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:30:41 pm

I don't understand what you mean? How do I close a path in illustrator...that doesn't mean that I have to have only closed images in Illustrator does it? What if I have to draw an X? Sorry if it that's a silly question? But I'm a bit confused by this whole issue.

Return to posts index

Will AllenRe: Masks/paths/strokes from Illustrator to AE- overlap problem
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:49:25 pm

Ok...I figured out how to close paths in illustrator but it still doesn't work when I bring them into AE. Anyone got any ideas?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Masks/paths/strokes from Illustrator to AE- overlap problem
by on Nov 7, 2010 at 6:52:24 am

AE doesn't understand complex overlapping masks; as far as I know, they have to be simple linear vertex with no overlapping. that's at least, my experience. if someone found a way, I'd love to hear it.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]