ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

HDR Video processing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard van den BoogaardHDR Video processing
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:46:33 pm

Recently, inspired by the awesome work done by SovietMontage, I investigated HDR video in an article on

In this article I talk about a number of ways to extend the latitude of a camera by doing multiple takes (sequentially using one camera or simultaneously using two in beam-split mode).

What still remains a bit unclear is what the best workflow is of processing these images.

Should you export individual frames from each camera and then combine to new HDR(-like) files using PhotoShop or PhotoMatix? Or is there a faster method inside AE?

Please share your suggestions...

Richard van den Boogaard
Freelance cameraman • Glidecam Operator • Editor • YouTube expert

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: HDR Video processing
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:26:27 pm

I don't think taking it into Photoshop would be terribly efficient use of time pre-CS5. CS5's new HDR processing features might work for it, but it may still take longer than you want.
Perhaps you might try setting up copies of the footage in AE and use luma mattes to determine which parts of which layers to use.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Norberto HenriquesRe: HDR Video processing
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 4:46:33 pm

I stumbled across this thread while searching for this very same subject.

What I basically need to know is what to do exactly in After Effects to merge two different footages of the same shot taken at diffent exposure levels.

Any help with the necessary technique?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved