ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Raylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christian montalbanoRaylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 3:26:21 am

I am editing a commercial shot against greenscreen. The files are mxf files that I converted using Raylight into avi files (@1280x1040). Ive never had problems in the past using vegas and raylight to edit mxf files except that the Chroma keying in Vegas is fisherprice while the Keing in AE CS3 is awesome. So I take the raylight converted files into AE and key and trim the clips whose times correspond to what is edited in Vegas. The problem I now have is when I export the file with the rgb + alpha from AE, the file is HUGE and is nolonger using raylight embedding, so I have no control once in vegas to use the red light control (in raylight) to view at lower resolution to edit. Instead the exported file from AE is so large it barely plays back in =vegas making it useless to work with despite the image quality. Is there no way of exporting a dvfilm raylight file in AE without the rgb+alpha option going away. From what I understand only uncompressed avi and QT exports will keep the alpha, but these files are useless in the vegas timeline because the are unplayable having lost their embedded raylight compression scheme.

Any thoughts for a better workflow???????

please forgive any mispellings as its the wee hours and Ive been doing trial an error rendering for about 10 hours now.

Return to posts index

Steve RhodenRe: Raylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 2:25:56 pm

Why dont you render out fro AE using the 'Quicktime PNG" format...Your file size will be much smaller while preserving your alpha channel.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Creative Arts Director and Film Maker.
Project Samples at:
http://www.youtube.com/hentys

Return to posts index

christian montalbanoRe: Raylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 2:43:04 pm

Wow thanks for the quick reply. This is my first time posting to CC since referring to it since its inception.
So while you idea is an awesome one, and I did try that, Vegas 9 doesnt accept png files. Otherwise what a great work around.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:03:26 pm

Of course Sony Vegas handles png files and all quicktime formats
perfectly.............

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Project Samples at:

Return to posts index

christian montalbanoRe: Raylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:07:53 pm

Actually youre right, it did take the png sequence but it was just that...a sequence of a ton of frames of video that were seconds long (each frame capture) so it was still unusable..

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:07:25 pm

No it isnt unusable...That is how Vegas handles file sequences...you need to highlight all the files and at bottom tick were it says
"Open image file sequence"
If you need further clarification on this and other areas go over to the sony vegas forum.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Project Samples at:

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Raylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:04:50 pm

What about using a Quicktime movie with PNG as the compressor instead of a PNG sequence?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jonathan ThomasRe: Raylight Vegas9 After Effects work flow issue
by on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:10:34 am

This may be a better solution try Boris Red or BCC Trial. Bring in the clips. Key out the footage using one or the other then bring back into Vegas. With the new Vegas Pro 10, BCC work right into Vegas.

Boris Keyers I think are the best and fasted in the business. I have AE CS4 ,Boris Red,BCC, Combustion 3 and Ultra. Boris Red is the best. It's that one click feature, the others you have to do a lot of twinking. With Boris one or two and you are there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]